• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

olive oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Va.Manuf.06 said:
Capper said:
Olive Oil...............Salad

Mink Oil................Patches

Actually, so-called mink oil is highly over rated. Olive oil has been used for shooting, sporting and military, for hundreds of years and was used in Europe until just recently. Italy was the last nation that routinely issued olive oil to it's troops for cleaning and lubrication. It works very well.

I have to follow up on this some more.

Do you have extensive experience with the so called Mink Oil that TOW sells? What exactly was wrong with it? What would olive oil do better? How did they compare in real cold weather? Cost?

Olive oil was probably used in the old days, because it was easily available compared to mink oil. That doesn't make it better.

We're comparing animal tallow to vegetable oil. Convince me why yours is better?

Now, how could anyone resist a raving beauty like this? That face! That body! Those legs! Everything from her cucumber nose, all the way down to those size 27 shoes!

famous-cartoon-character-olive-oyl.jpg

I have feelings too!

flintlock62 said:
Now, how could anyone resist a raving beauty like this? That face! That body! Those legs! Everything from her cucumber nose, all the way down to those size 27 shoes!

famous-cartoon-character-olive-oyl.jpg

"I have feelings too"!

Yes, I forgot the hands.

have been thinking about giving peanut oil a go because it has the highest smoke point of all the veg oils.

I gave it a try for that very same reason. Could not see any diff between it and olive oil, cirsco, corn oil or bore butter.

I'm thinking that in colonial and post colonia America, that the use of olive oil for a lube might have been considered extravagant. Everybody had ready access to animal fat and therefore rendered lard.

I also tried plain old Morrell salt free lard once and worked just fine too.

By the way, I have it first hand per an episode of 3rd Rock that peanuts are a legume! :haha: Therefore it follows, that it is vegetable oil? :confused:

I gave it a try for that very same reason. Could not see any diff between it and olive oil, cirsco, corn oil or bore butter.

This is the bottom line. They work, they all work.
That's why this topic never has a conclusion. I go with the easiest one to get and passes the Miss Elizabeth smell test.

ebiggs said:
This is the bottom line. They work, they all work.
That's why this topic never has a conclusion. I go with the easiest one to get and passes the Miss Elizabeth smell test.
Finally! Wisdom!

(Not that 3rd Rock isn't wise, but ...)

Dan

And a laugh is always the best way to end things.

We're done! :shocked2:

Dang, I was just about to post my laws-of-the-universe defying concoction made of rendered alien fat. Guaranteed to give 1500 fps per 10 grains of powder (by volume) to a .58 ball.

Ahh heck, I'll go ahead and post it anyway. You take two aliens (greens, not grays). Put them in a........... Aieeeeeee, they're coming for me again........................

Marmotslayer, if you get a chance to talk to those aliens (between probes of course) ask them if they still sell that .018 silver patch fabric, and if they still use UPS (Universe Parcel Service).

Ever think about buying an out of state bridge with a foreign sounding name?

Semisane said:
if you get a chance to talk to those aliens (between probes of course) ask them if they still sell that .018 silver patch fabric, and if they still use UPS (Universe Parcel Service).
And they don't have to pay a hazmat fee... punks!

Semisane said:
Marmotslayer, if you get a chance to talk to those aliens (between probes of course) ask them if they still sell that .018 silver patch fabric, and if they still use UPS (Universe Parcel Service).
Hey guys, what happens in outer space, stays in outer space. :redface:

Latest posts

Back