• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

olive oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to use an oil that is highly resistant to going rancid and noted for being slippery.
I would be nice if the oil is not stinky like Ballistol or Eezox.
Maybe Caster oil or automatic transmission fluid.

IN the field use, water, or spit, if you are sure that you will take the shot before the patch dries out. That's a no-no, as the barrel rusts where the patch contact the lands and grooves when that wet dries.( Please be kind enough to not ask me how I know this to be true. :hmm: :shocked2: ) Thank You. :hatsoff:

At the range, I use spit patches all the time.

In the field, I use Young Country 101 lube, the predecessor to Natural lube 1000, and Bore butter, or "wonderlube". Oils= I can only recommend using either olive oil, or Jojoba oil, a vegetable based oil extracted from the wax of the Jojoba plant's Beans. Its considered a substitute for Whale Oil by those who have used both. Its very good stuff. It doesn't seem to dry out when I use it to lube the locks on my guns.

If it gets below Freezing( 32 degree F.) I switch from using a lube to using Alcohol to wet the patches, whether on the range, or in the field. IN that cold weather shooting, I use a vegetable fiber wad as an OP wad, and firewall, to protect the alcohol soaked patched RB. I then use an oiled- Olive oil, or Jojoba oil-- cleaning patch to run down the barrel to lube it up and help the barrel keep from rusting in the cold dry air. When hunting big game, I don't expect more than one shot, and load accordingly: I take my time and do it right! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back