• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

On-Line check -in in Illinois

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maynerd62411

50 Cal.
Reaction score
This year, Illinois has set up an on-line check in system. You have to measure the base of the largest beam on a buck, or the length from the base of the dew hoof to the tip of the hoof, in millimeters. You can call in on the phone, too, but I heard there was alot of problems with getting hung up on. You have until 10pm the night you shoot it to check in.
They eliminated the check stations, altogether.
Do any other states have a similar system?

That is about the dumbest idea I have heard in a long time. What about those that don't have or wish to have/use a computer. I might be able to see some merit in it for a sort of random survey...but to eliminate check in stations altogether... That, is why I am so fed up with all this computer manure...folks are almost forced to use the damm things... Yeah, I use mine...but by CHOICE.

oomcurt said:
That is about the dumbest idea I have heard in a long time. What about those that don't have or wish to have/use a computer. I might be able to see some merit in it for a sort of random survey...but to eliminate check in stations altogether... That, is why I am so fed up with all this computer manure...folks are almost forced to use the damm things... Yeah, I use mine...but by CHOICE.

Too true .. a good idear gone awry! We try to fit it in sometimes where it is not feasible! :nono:

But then think of the consequences .. it WOULD rather difficult to convey have these conversations on Tom-Toms and smoke signals! :cursing: :rotf:

Davy

If you call in, you talk to a recorded voice that asks "20 questions" and you punch all your dimensions in on the touchtone. Must be really convenient for the non-resident deer hunter-campers. Shawnee Forest is not yet equipped with phone booths and internet access. :youcrazy:

This is one of the best things that the DNR has implemented in this state.I was able to check in my buck in less than five minutes, no driving for an hour to the check station, no standing in line!I have hunted in this State since the license cost three dollars and a quarter, and I have never seen as many changes as our current director of the DNR has implemented, and I think that he deserves a standing ovation.Not only is it eaiser, he has uncumbered the conservation officers to the point that they can get out to do their jobs.

The major factor in closing the stations is money. The state is broke. They still have check in stations in CWD counties and surronding coutnies. They check in stations compiled a lot of info over the years. It would be interesting to see the results.
I personally don't miss driving to them, but they were a lot of fun when you brought a big buck there and have everyone gawk at it!!

New York, hereabouts anyway, only has deer check stations on day #1. You don't have to seek them out, but you cannot pass one if you haven't stopped already. You also have to call in any kill at a toll free automated line. They only ask very basic questions: day of kill, type of tag (regular vs. specialty permit), male/female, county & town, method of kill (rifle/shotgun, bow or muzzleloader). No weight, # of points, nuttin.

the new system rocks!!!! I had my 2 deer field dressed checked in and skinned an hour after I squeezed the trigger, Last year I drove 35 minutes each way to check in my bowkill because I skin deer asap....

In VA we can call in our kills by telephone. Had to drive half an hour to get to a spot that had cell coverage. It was on the way home so that wasn't a problem for me. The guys camping in the forest had to drive back to camp after getting to a phone. Wonder how the little store that we used to check the deer at feels. GC

Sure glad we don't have to do any of that here. Shoot your deer and go home. No phone calls, check stations and such.

The processor from Decatur still had a semi-trailer at the old check-in station for pickup. The fellow there said it was only their 2nd trailer instead of their 3rd like usual. But, and we didn't know this until a couple of days later, they were on-line so you could check it in from their computer. My neice's boyfriend did that. We had already stopped at my friend's house before he took it in. (He wanted the jalopeno and cheese balogna made.)
I butcher my own and have the computer so it didn't bother me much.
I just feel like it leaves a big opening for poaching. Maybe with so many deer, the state isn't too concerned with it. It just keeps the honest people honest.
At least I can get my pin sent to me. :grin:

Jblk said:
This is one of the best things that the DNR has implemented in this state.I was able to check in my buck in less than five minutes, no driving for an hour to the check station, no standing in line!I have hunted in this State since the license cost three dollars and a quarter, and I have never seen as many changes as our current director of the DNR has implemented, and I think that he deserves a standing ovation.Not only is it eaiser, he has uncumbered the conservation officers to the point that they can get out to do their jobs.

I agree, I checked two deer in online and it was a very easy process. I don't miss the drive to the check station, even though it was on my way home anyway.

Latest posts

Back