• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One more before the season closed...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
xQmYvzb.jpg

Ozarks romance tip #127: Nothing says "I love you" like a freshly killed squirrel.

Our squirrel season ended yesterday (2/15/22) so I'm a little blue today. I wasn't able to get out but I did put one more in the freezer on Valentine's Day. Now I just have to wait for turkey season.

I did try to console myself by ordering a new custom longbow and matching knife. It's a start...

Darren

Nice! How many squirrels did you get this season?

Couldn't tell you for sure. Enough to feed my mother, friends, and me well. I found a new way of cooking them that opened up a whole new batch of recipes for me. I put a rub on the carcasses and smoked them whole for 1-2 hours. Then I put them in a big baking pan with a little water, covered that, and baked them at 250 degrees for another 2-3 hours until the meat fell off the bone. With the deboned meat you can make all sorts of things; casseroles, pasta, tacos, etc. I made a big batch of smoked squirrel nachos a couple of times that was a big hit with the folks that ate it.

I probably have 20 in the freezer right now waiting to be used.

Darren

Well done, Darrel. I like that cooking idea, very similar to how we cook snapping turtles. We pan fry them, then into the pot at 250F for and hour or two.

If I recall correctly, MO opens up squirrel season in the late Spring. So those 20 in the deep freeze may just hold you off until then, if you're judicious in your use of them. I had thought about taking the .32 Cherokee out there years ago, but never did. The Ozarks looks to be prime squirrel habitat. Glad you had such a productive season.
Squirrel: The Other Dark Meat!

If I recall correctly, MO opens up squirrel season in the late Spring. So those 20 in the deep freeze may just hold you off until then, if you're judicious in your use of them. I had thought about taking the .32 Cherokee out there years ago, but never did. The Ozarks looks to be prime squirrel habitat. Glad you had such a productive season.
Squirrel: The Other Dark Meat!

Missouri's squirrel season opens the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend and runs to February 15th. The daily limit is 10 and the possession limit is 20. When I was a kid, that's all I wanted to do was squirrel hunt. I can even remember my mother threatening to whip me if I brought one more squirrel to the house for her to mess with. I grew up and live in the southern part of the state which is mostly hills and hollers covered in hardwood timber - prime squirrel habitat! Like most folks who squirrel hunted when they were younger, I got out of it for a long time in exchange for chasing bigger game. I got back into it when I took up black powder hunting because it put all the fun back into the sport like I remembered as a young boy.

Darren

Back