• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One shot, One kill

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Cade

36 Cal.
Reaction score
got home from the coal mine today and decided to do a little squirrel hunting with my new flinter. loaded abby, my nine month old dachshund, in the truck and away we went. we walked through a great oak hollow for a few hundred yards and finally saw a squirrel run up a tulip poplar. the tree was about 80-90' tall with a large fork about 3/4 of the way up. i set up about 30 yards away and took aim at the fork. nine out of ten squirrels would have run up to the fork and peeked out, giving a perfect head shot. well after five minutes he still hadn't made an appearance. with a 10' gully between me and the tree i had to walk up hill about 75 yards and ease back toward the tree. i was about 40 yards from the tree when i saw the squirrel hugging the tree, just to the side of the fork. apparently, he was smarter than the average squirrel. all the while abby was running around having a ball sniffing all the holes and hollow trees. i pulled the hammer back, took aim at the back of his head, and sqeezed the trigger. when the smoke cleared he was doing back flips down the tree. i don't know who was more surprised, me or abby. she didn't know what to make of the tumbling fur ball at first, but she warmed up to him quickly and shook him a couple times. it was a good walk back to the truck with abby really getting into hunting.
Squirrel3.jpg

Gotta love those big-hearted Dashshunds.

Sounds like a good time!

Believe it or not I used to have a cat who would squirrel hunt with me right up to the time I took the first shot. Then he would scram but be waiting at the back door for a squirrel kidney when I returned.

Good on ya! I really enjoy squirrel hunting. Too many people have forgotten the joy of it.

My wife has a Dachshund , beagle cross and he's a great little dog. You story makes me want to get out and do some squirrel hunting. :grin: Maybe saturday in the snow.

What type of gun is that you have there? It looks like a Pedersoli.

Thanks for sharing a fine little hunt. Sometimes it's a simple squirrel or rabbit that is more satisfying than a deer, and quality time with the new pup makes it even better. Nice shot by the way! Is your flinter a .32, .36, .40, .45?

thanks fellows! my rifle is a .32 pedersoli i dialed in this past weekend. had a problem with the ram rod sliding out while walking through the woods. if i have some time tonight, i'll take the rifle apart and try to figure out why. anyone else have this problem with a pedersoli? it looks like they used the same tubes as my .50 cal.

i'm hoping to take abby back out soon, but we are expecting some "wintery mix" this weekend and that's never a good thing to hear in s.c. maybe if it's not too bad, i'll take her back out sat. while she still has the scent.

Nice shot, sir. Looks like you have a nice hunting buddy there. :thumbsup:

had a problem with the ram rod sliding out while walking through the woods.

Try heating the ramrod up real good along the center 2/3rds of the rod. Use the wifes hair dryer if ya have one (wife that is). Once it is heated up real good, bend it into a bow and hold it til it is cooled. It should take a permanent turn and that will make it stay in the thimbles.

Thats fine shooting sir :hatsoff:

I like the rod bending idea, neat. It reminded me how I straighten wooden arrows by rubbing a srew driver shank down the shaft against the bend. Maybe that would work on a rammer to bend it slightly!

Good photo.

Brits.

I have a similar problem with a green mountain 32 cal barrel. I lost my ramrod last winter couldn't find it until I had ordered about 30 dollars worth of junk dohhhhh. I found it a month later when retreving a deer. The suggestions I got were to get a new spring steel retainer or just tie a piece of leather through a thimble and it will usually stick.

marmot, i had thought about doing that but i didn't know if a spring or something had come lose. heating stuff up is not problem. i hunt with cane arrows, but i'm use to straightening not bending. that will save some cash on having to buy some smaller pipes.

Back