• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One shot, One kill

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck with it. I've never seen a spring type retainer or anything on a full stock. Might also be able to move up one side on the rod but ya got a small hole in the end of yur barrel. :)

The suggestion above about tieing a loop of leather like a boot lace piece works too. Did it on a half stock with a brass rod and it stays in place. You could hang that squirrels tail from it. :haha:

Hello from Germany!

Waidmanns Heil for this nice squirrel! :thumbsup:
Good shooting! What was the cal?

You have a fine dog !

Regards

Kirrmeister

I know that CVA and Traditions have a spring that mounts on the front lock screw that holds the ramrod in place. It seems to work well.

There is a field expedient to cure Slippery Ramrod Syndrome, which as you know progresses to Missing Ramrod Malady. Break off a little twig, and jam it between the ramrod and the entry pipe (or entry hole, if there is no pipe). It just creates enough friction to hold it in place for awhile. Of course it will get lost now and again, like when you withdraw the ramrod, but fortunately the woods are full of twigs of the perfect size.
Also, try to carry your rifle either muzzle level, or muzzle up. Gravity is pretty good at keeping the ramrod in it's place.

Just run a piece through the thimble and tie a knot in it. It takes up space. Have used bobby pins in the past when I was married. Emergency fix for lazy people :idunno: (the bobby pin) Larry Wv

Call me stupid if ya like but just how does that leather go on the gun to help retain the rod?
Thanks

I ain't about to call ya "stupid".

I learned long ago that people who don't understand what I'm saying are hardley ever stupid!! :haha: More about the messenger than the message.

Anyway, you take a piece of leather lace similar to what would be used for a boot lace and simply push one end of it all the way through a thimble and then tie it. It creates friction against the rod and makes the thimble hole smaller for all practical purposes.

If a leather boot lace is too thick, then try a shoe lace to create the friction. I have either used, or seen used, wool "string", chamois "cloth" leather, latigo, jute string, alligator hide strip, and all manner of other kinds of strips of hide, from deer to buffalo- no bear yet, but we don't have a lot of bear hunters around here--- used to narrow the pipes( thimbles) to keep the ramrods from coming loose. You only have to do this with ONE pipe( thimble) and most shooters do it on the one closest to the muzzle. :thumbsup:

Thanks I see now :thumbsup:

Years ago I had a shot gun that was not very good at holding the rod so I glued some thin leather in the last 2" of the groove in the stock down the locks end. That did it too.

Brits.

Years ago I had a shot gun that was not very good at holding the rod so I glued some thin leather in the last 2" of the groove in the stock down the locks end. That did it too.

That would seem to be an excellent solution and won't clutter the gun up with a leather string.

Back