• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Open iron sights or peep.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can't disregard variables. One is the speed of sighting the target and accuracy expected. If you are in a position to take a bit more time, I'd say peep. But if you need to aim-and-fire, open sights.

There is no absolute A or B here.
Right on, I plain old don't like peeps for me! My eyeball don't like lining up a vertical in a round hole. I am a parallel reference shooter. NO, I am not going to use a globe front sight!
Larry

Focusing though an aperture is inherently more accurate than a buckhorn. That's why they were created in the first place. That's why peeps were used on military rifles in the modern age in the second place. Having said that, I still use open sights for hunting ranges out to 100 yards or so.

If you are trying to shoot in deep woods or under near dark conditions there isn't enough light for a peep sight.
I will remove my peep and use the ghost ring if there is still enough light. I have killed two deer that way in dark timber the last 10 minutes of light. I use a green fiber optic front sight.

I really like peep sights. When it's the right sight for the rifle and the conditions. As mentioned above, peep sights have their limitations.

I will remove my peep and use the ghost ring if there is still enough light. I have killed two deer that way in dark timber the last 10 minutes of light. I use a green fiber optic front sight.
Aperture "peep" sights are far more accurate than open sights because of sight radius (distance between front and rear sight) as well as circle over blade or circle over circle (front and rear apertures for target work) sighting calibration. Many folks simply take out the aperture disk used for target work and use the threaded aperture disk hole "ghost ring" for hunting which is surprisingly accurate for low light sighting. It also helps greatly to add some brass in the top rear of the front blade for low light sighting.
Aperture sights are much faster to use on moving shots. The trouble most folks have with peep/aperture sights is they tend to think a small hole is better when in fact what one needs is brightness and that usually happens by opening the aperture depending on light condition. On a bright day one may need to close the aperture down instead of opening it to reduce glare.

If you are trying to shoot in deep woods or under near dark conditions there isn't enough light for a peep sight.
Stub, with respect. That is completely backwards. Its just the opposite. If what you contend be true, then the military would not have installed peeps on rifles for many years. A peep is far superior in poor light conditions as it offers more open and full view of the target when compared to iron sights. An iron fixed sight can hide a good portion of the target whereas a peep does not.

I have proven this time and time again in the dark woods while hunting.

Last edited:
A properly set up peep rear and an aperture front (double peep) when sHooting the proposer size Black dot target is just as accurate as any rifle scope in existence.
I do not like the large peep(ghost ring) on shotguns because it is slower.
I put peeps on my lever guns and will soon experiment with them on flintlocks Or move the rear sight forward. That is for another thread.
My eyeballs were issued in the 1950s. I am having to decide on which of the three rear sights open sights that I currently see.

Back