• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Open iron sights or peep.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of people forget Lyman originally built their business with the #57 peep sight used on hunting rifles. Can't be all wrong.
I have a #66 on one of my carbines and a Williams 5D on another, and Full blown orig target sights on my original small bore Mossbergs. They all work fairly well.

True, when it gets dark it is time to go home. Besides if you should (almost) y murder Bambi in low light you will have to track it in dark. And then, if you do find it you have to drag out in the dark. No fun. DAMHIK!
Low light for this seasoned hunter usually means early morning, especially in the thick hardwoods during overcast conditions. Although I am a hard core big game hunter, during the offseason I go after gray squirrels. As small of a target as they are, when they are up in the tops of trees, especially during low light conditions, a hunting size peep has proven to be superior to open fixed sights. There is no denying this whatsoever. If anyone doubts that, then they simply have not tried it with the proper size peep/front bead combination.

To expound on this even further, the benefits of a proper size peep has also proven to be superior even on the ML I hunted elk with regardless of light conditions. And I had much better vision back then.

A proper size peep and front bead combination is key.

But I digress.

Last edited:
I've hunted with a peep on my T/C Renegade for 25 years and taken many Deer and elk with it at ranges from 25 to 110 yards. But it is also a preference and how your eyes work thing. Try both and see which one you like. With whichever you choose, practice bring the rifle up to your eye so the sight alignment is second nature when your hunting.

At my muzzleloading hunting distances and woodland settings, particularly at dawn and dusk, I prefer open sights. However, much like peep sights, the style of the sight can make a big difference. My muzzleloaders have a shallow V-notch rear and a highly visible bright brass blade front sight (3/32” thickness) that is cut vertically at the rear. This set-up has worked very well for me throughout legal shooting light.

Every one agree with ...peep
If you are trying to shoot in deep woods or under near dark conditions there isn't enough light for a peep sight.
If your in deep dark timber not much will help you see. Using open or peep.

Agreed. The peep acts as a sort of lens, until it gets really large like a "ghost ring". I've been in situations where I could see the deer in low light, but when I went to look through the peep, the deer was invisible. It was a nice buck, too. I also like a thin, silver, front blade for low light, in the woods or in a meadow.

LD

I also shoot BPCR [black powder cart. rifle] I have a hadley cup sight that you can change the peep size for the light conditions. I've found this very useful at a lot different ranges and light conditions such as a cloudy day or a bright sunny day. Some sights have threaded peep sights.

I also shoot BPCR [black powder cart. rifle] I have a hadley cup sight that you can change the peep size for the light conditions. I've found this very useful at a lot different ranges and light conditions such as a cloudy day or a bright sunny day. Some sights have threaded peep sights.
I have a Hadley on my Sharps cartridge gun. Works great.

And the aperture on my folding peep is threaded and can be changed to suit conditions.

1689771990618.jpeg

Open sights suck in early morning and late evening. Especially for old eyes. The Woodsrunner I am putting together now will have a peep sight.
Though not strictly about bp, the subject of open sights as opposed to 'peep' sights was broached, Waaaay back in 1967, I was a young soldier in Viet-Nam, I found myself on protection duty for a fencing crew building a new ammo dump in 'Indian country.' Sorry you PC types, that's what we called unsecured areas. Anyway, got into a duel with a VC sniper using an M-14. At about 600 yards, managed to take out the sniper. Don't know as if I could have done it with open sights. Couldn't do it now for sure. Can't even see 600 yards now. This was early morning (Charley would attack you at any time, even mid-night.) with the sun in front of me.

All I need is a simple A or B
Will a person shoot better with A open iron sights or B peep sight. Forget all the variables.
Aperture sights are more accurate and faster to use in the right configuration but open sights are required for most muzzle loader competitions.
I also make and shoot black powder cartridge rifles as well as muzzle loaders most of which have vernier soul sights on them with adjustable rear apertures. Many have front apertures as well that are nearly as accurate as scopes.
I also like and use post sight disks in front sight aperture body's and a rear apertures (peep) which works good for gong matches that allow this sight configuration.

I really like peep sights. When it's the right sight for the rifle and the conditions. As mentioned above, peep sights have their limitations.
I can't think of a single light condition that can't be more precisely handled with the right aperture (peep) combination than what an open sight can provide. The reason is because of a longer sight radius and one less focal plane the eye has to adjust to. A large ghost ring rear is amazingly accurate and will work in as low light condition as an open rear usually much farther away from your eye.
Stock fit also has a lot to do with how fast either sight type works.

Right on, I plain old don't like peeps for me! My eyeball don't like lining up a vertical in a round hole. I am a parallel reference shooter. NO, I am not going to use a globe front sight!
Larry
My Woods Runner in 54 cal wears a PEEP made by Tom A Hawk on the muzzle loader site. It adjusts for elevation and folds down when not used , it with a front blade ( ivory )i fabricated myself . Progressive lens were killing my scores and with the peep I now compare my scores with a 4 power Leupold (NO JOKE) ,you have to try it to see what your missing ! 200 yds is a target rich environment with progressive lenses and this peep/Ed

My Woods Runner in 54 cal wears a PEEP made by Tom A Hawk on the muzzle loader site. It adjusts for elevation and folds down when not used , it with a front blade ( ivory )i fabricated myself . Progressive lens were killing my scores and with the peep I now compare my scores with a 4 power Leupold (NO JOKE) ,you have to try it to see what your missing ! 200 yds is a target rich environment with preogressive lenses and this peep/Ed
I appreciate you trying to convert this old fart for something that works so well for you! Even if I were to like them, I don't hunt anything but competitive paper or novelties. All guns must be traditional. Last I heard it was "Open Sights" only.

Larry

Back