• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Open sight arrangement?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David G

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, I have a .50 cal 42 inch swamped barrel that shoots bad to the right. IMO, I've had to make a pretty excessive adjustment to the sights which I 'll try to describe. Looking from the breech end up towards the muzzle I've had to move the rear sight notch a full 1/16 or more left of the centerline of the barrel. Also, to further compensate I've had to move the front sight to the right not quite a 1/16. Is this normal? Or should I have someone check out the barrel to see whats going on? I've shot around 600 PRB through the barrel. I don't think it's from any kind of shooter error, I've shot for 25 yrs. and know the techniques. It shoots this way from the bench and off hand. I also think I've done nothing to put wear on the crown as I use a muzzle guard on a stainless rod. What do you guy think.

If it's shooting to your point of aim now I wouldn't worry about it. This is not that unusual of a problem and 1/16" off centre isn't too bad. It could be it was bored slightly off but if it's accurate don't sweat it. I know how you feel though. I used to have a T/C .50 that shot off to the right and it always bothered me to have my front sight off centre so much....nobody but me ever noticed though.

are you getting otherwise tight groups (i know, all things are relative)?

assuming that the POI moved when you moved the sights (i can't see why it wouldn't), i would suspect that there may be something binding the barrel: are the lugs slotted to allow for expansion of the stock under the barrel? (i assume that the barrel is attached to the stock with pins)

is that's not the issue, you may have a off center bore. bummer city, man

Deaconjo, my POI moves in correlation the way it should when I adjust the sights. However, I wonder if one of the barrel makers out there or perhaps the company I got it from could do something with it. I don't know if it's excessive run out or what. However it shoots well and I can live with it. It just looks a little funky ( to me). I just thought someone may have had the same problem and wanted to see if there is anything that could be done with it. Thanks for the reply

I would suspect a bent barrel, which is not too serious of a problem, if you know how to straighten it. You might want to find a gunsmith that is savy to the job, and has done it before. Basicly the ends of the barrel are put on blocks, then it is pressured in the middle by various means, until it is straight. I have done a couple. The first time is a little scary, but you soon find that it is not rocket science.

MSW, the lugs are slotted. Wick, do you know of anyone that would take a look at it if I decide to go that route?

why do you think they make sights so you can adjust them. being dovetail or adj. no two peoples eyes are alike nor the way you may hold etc. etc.i believe you may be over reacting just a bit. just shoot the gun and enjoy the smokey ride....pghrich

Let me guess, it's a Colerain barrel?
Then the barrel has a bent. I have had three 44" swamped barrels from them and all three had a bent to the right. Ask Scott Keller what to. There is no more quality!

Back