• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opening Day Muzzleloader ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
30 days from today deer season opens where I hunt...will be carrying the Flintlock with the .62cal GM smoothbore barrel that Ed Rayl rifled for me.

Seems like it's taken forever for the fall time of year to get here...switched our tag situation this year two...instead of 4 bucks & 2 does its 2 bucks and 4 does...plus an unlimited supply of extra does tags.

In Cumberland County, eastern NC where I hunt, muzzleloader week starts this weekend. I will be going down next weekend to pitch a tent and take my CVA Bobcat for a walk.

RDavidP said:
In Cumberland County, eastern NC where I hunt, muzzleloader week starts this weekend. I will be going down next weekend to pitch a tent and take my CVA Bobcat for a walk.
Yeah I know it starts Saturday over east...I hunt Central Zone...have to wait :(

3rd saturday in oct here in PA fer our early muzzleloader season, doe only though.........bob

Special primited BP hunt starts October 13 on one of the Federal parks about an hour from me, hitting that 15-17th (13th is also duck opener for the state, old habits are hard to break :wink: ) then the 18-20th is general state BP season, then 22-27 is whitetail doe BP season.

Best of all, October 9 is my last day of work until APRIL!!!!! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I just sighted in my Underhammer for this weekend opener. I was lucky enough to draw a second doe tag. I'm going meat hunting this year.

The fringe benefit is I'll test out two of my latest underhammer barrels. :thumbsup:

Regular season for deer opened here August 1, and I've been hunting that with the GPR I built last winter. Primitive weapon season for both ML and archery doesn't open till Nov 1, and I sure wasn't going to sit around and wait for that!

Saturday for early muzzleloader. Taking my son out to the orchard and then the state park (special doe permit) in the afternoon. Hope fully both of our flintlocks will get lucky. Let the meat hunting begin! He can't wait...it will be his first licensed season.

I can go in 7 days on a "Primitive Hunt" in an otherwise closed area.Not sure if I can make it though.Regular Rifle season opens the last Friday in October and goes for a month and it's muzzleloader only for me.

Recon said:
Taking my son out to the orchard and then the state park (special doe permit) in the afternoon. Hope fully both of our flintlocks will get lucky. He can't wait...

Hi there Recon,

Our early ml season opens next Saturday, my boy and I will be out there too. Best hunting buddy you'll ever have, huh?

He's 13, got his first deer year before last and his first blackpowder deer last year. This year he wants to get one with a flintlock...

Last weekend we went out squirrel hunting with flintlocks and he skunked me - nearly grounded him over that :grin:

Good luck and please let us know how it goes -

Spot

Roundball,

I'm down east and will be opening up tomorrow. Only problem is that my deer land has been invaded by hogs! In NC only two or three counties have true wild boars (and a wild boar season) with all other hogs being classified feral, having no season restrictions. I may be eating pork instead of venison.

bramble

bramble said:
Roundball,

I'm down east and will be opening up tomorrow. Only problem is that my deer land has been invaded by hogs! In NC only two or three counties have true wild boars (and a wild boar season) with all other hogs being classified feral, having no season restrictions. I may be eating pork instead of venison.

They are becoming a serious problem throughout NC...the good news is this year the WRC finally clarified feral hog status as being any hog outside the few counties near the mountains out west, and we can now shoot the feral hogs year round without worry of some yahoo GW writing a ticket claiming it was a wild boar. I'm not that far from you...if you want to try some ML hogs after deer season:
"Have Flintlock, will travel" :grin:

I only have a little piece of gamelands I can deer hunt in the eastern zone and it's a 30 minute walk back in there...too far to drag out a deer if I shot one back in there so I don't deer hunt[url] it...in[/url] another week I'll walk back in 3 Saturdays squirrel hunting with a flintlock smoothbore, then I deer hunt somewhere else when the central zone opens Nov 3rd.

Good luck with your deer...

Last edited by a moderator:
November 17th here in NY is the date for rifle season. That is modern arms but I only hunt with an M/L and it is allowed. It's still aways off. :shake:

I'm going to work my dogs this weekend, so at least I can get some scouting in at the same time. :wink:

Oct 20th for me, but I will only get to hunt the am.

STOKED BOYS!!!! I am STOKED!!!

Due to the heat I am only gonna shoot a good buck, if he shows. I wish it would cool down!

Wess

KyFlintlock said:
Due to the heat I am only gonna shoot a good buck, if he shows. I wish it would cool down!

Its really aggravating here in NC...record setting drought this year AND record setting temperatures...everybody is STILL on water restrictions and this week's tempersture forcast is low to mid 90's...almost mid October with July heat !!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't even go on my ML opener yesterday...and I'm just planning to squirrel hunt the next 3 Saturdays with a Flint smoothbore.

Will start serious deer hunting November 3rd and taking 2 weeks vacation to hunt the rut every day...work 3 days then have Thanksgiving holidays and weekend to hunt some more. I could sit there all day in the fall colors and watch all the wildlife whether or not I even shoot a deer

Bambi 1
bramble 0

Well, spent the day in a tree stand. No hogs showed up (a neighbor had gotten 3 with a bow last week). Just about dark a doe decided to chance it. Though partially hidden by some reeds, I had a good shot. Hangfire. That eternally brief interval between the pop/flash (it was late) of the cap and the powder ignition gave her the jump & me the jerk. No blood, no hair, no deer. Clean miss.

In retrospect, it was my first time experimenting with using a speed loader. So of course I did the initial load from one as practice. I'm guessing that the combination of bore butter sliding the ball down the tube and NC heat gave the pyrodex (I know, haven't switched to the good stuff) just enough coating to delay the discharge. I did remove the nipple before going out and made sure there were a few grains of powder in the channel. Well, I get to practice a little more before I have the chance to hit 'em in a couple of weeks.

And Roundball, if the hogs persist, I'll give you a shout after the season.

bramble

Back