• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opening Day Muzzleloader ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a hang fire like that on a 6 pointer back in the 90's using Pyrodex.

If you can find a can of Goex, you'll think you've died and gone to heaven...ignition is like lightning

I gotta wait till Nov 3 for the mainland muzzleloader season to start here but I leave in the morning for our annual Prudence Island hunt which opens Tuesday morning. Hopefully make it thunder over there this week. :grin:

Here in Texas we have to wait until the second Sat. in Jan. Then it's only a one week season with antlerless and spike only.

The EHD is starting to take its toll on the deer down in Ky. My buddy said he smelled rotting deer on 3 or 4 spots on his place.

I hope it frosts soon!
Wess

This coming Saturday seems like an eternity away! Don't know how many more times I can double check my gear before my wife makes me sleep in my truck!BB

This coming Saturday! I'm like a little kid before Christmas.

Got my boy's spot all ready to go, he killed his first muzzleloader deer there last year with his .54 Renegade, but he wants to carry a flintlock this year.

I'm stoked...

Spot :grin:

Hunt over! Opening day I had in my pocket two tags. One was a general deer tag and the other a second doe tag for the area I was in. In the morning I was carrying the .54. I sat in the blind but only saw deer at a distance. At about 8:00 I got out of the blind and decided to move elsewhere. I ran into a nice doe which basically committed suicide. We saw each other and it decided to check me out. The doe saw me and had trotted closer to about 35 yards. It turned broad side and I made smoke.

PA060005.jpg

After taking care of the doe at camp I headed out to another part of the county to assist in doe eradication with my general tag. I sat in a 3 pallet wood blind hastily set up on a well used deer trail. At about 4:30 pm groups of 6-12 deer would come to visit and then leave. They would be about 56 yards. (according to my range finder.)

PA060010.jpg

After watching a couple of groups come through I figured I better test out the GM .50 fast twist. I made smoke and another doe was harvested. All tags filled and hunt over.

PA060020.jpg

On a side note, my partner brought his son to hunt his first deer. My buddy likes to call me paranoid because I bring extras of everything. Two guns, extra camo, stools, etc. Anyways he was jabbering his jaws about this when he realized he forgot his bullets, caps and other stuff for his new fangled in-l*** muzzle loader. Being the generous fellow I loaned them my traditional Underhammers. His boy took his first deer ever on my .50 while my buddy took his doe on my .54.

After it was over, I told him paranoid guys like me usually don't forget to bring gear! :grin:

Congratulations man...great preparation, great shooting, and a great story too!
:hatsoff:

The bad news is you have to wait a whole 'nother year to do it again!!
:(

LOL I hear yah guys. Thanks..However, it is bird season and I have a .62 smooth bore I've not had a chance to shoot yet! :thumbsup: This will give me time to get ready for other up coming seasons.

I'm also going to put in for the Spring Bear permit and with a little luck I'll draw a tag. If I do, I'm going to mount a Malcom 30" scope on my very accurate .45 fast twist with a 405-500 grn. conical. :thumbsup: I just need to come up with a load.

Grats gmww :thumbsup:
I`ll be carrying my home made 54 matchlock opening day of regular rifle season on the first weekend of Nov. :)

My hunt opens October 15th. and runs through November 15th. I will be taking time off work to hunt November 3rd. through November 11th. The bucks will be rutting then and they are way more visible at that time than they are now, especially the big boys. I will have 2 weekends to hunt prior to the "official" hunt and will take a big buck at any time the opportunity presents itself. It would have to be a big one though to shoot early and have to just watch my buddy hunt on the week off. I'm getting really excited to go.
Took the boys last weekend for rifle opener youth hunt. It snowed 7 or 8 inches and the wind blew like crazy....it was fun. I love the fall!
Idaho PRB

I live for October & November too...also take two vacation to hunt the rut from sunup to sundown...ours starts November 3rd also...then back to work Mon-Wed of Thanksgiving week...then back in the woods Thurs(am)/Fri/Sat...usually so exhausted after all that it takes me til Christmas to rest back up!

But its a good tired though... :grin:

Had Venison tenderloin for dinner tonight! Brought home a large corn fed Iowa doe. 20 yards and a cloud-o-smoke. Still antlerless tags available for the county too!BB :thumbsup:

My son and I went out yesterday and we only saw 1 doe. It was about 8 am and we were moving from the middle of the orchard to the edge of the wood lot when we heard something crashing through the woods at a full run. I had him stop and get ready in case it came crashing into the orchard. He turned in time to see a doe slam on the brakes when it saw him, do a 180 and slam it into high gear going the other direction. He didn't even have time to raise his flintlock!

That's why they call it hunting, not killing! Lots of deer season to go.

Sat and watched a heard of mostly small doe for about 30 min before this one stepped around the tree break. Passed on a little forked buck with a nice flash on his face. He'll be a beaut in a few years!The owls and the overconfident Sparrow hawk made the morning worth it.

Swamp Rat said:
Well it's D-Day here tomorrow. :grin:
Same here...thought it would never get here...and if I check lube the rifled bore of that .62cal GM barrel any more I'll rub the lands out of it...good luck !!

:thumbsup:

Back