• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

opening Uberti 1858 .44 chambers up

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right Mike, I think RE is over thinking things. If one couldn't square up the chamber to groove relation, they'd have to buy 10 revolvers to get one that might be right out of the box for competition. It's quite normal to cut a proper forcing cone and set the chamber/groove relation. Lawyers will attack no matter what so one shouldn't maximize their sixguns performance worrying about lawyers, that's what gets the good guys killed (ala Lone Survivor).

M.D. said:
I could be mistaken but I never thought "as issue" meant they could not be tuned but rather that no parts could be replaced with after market enhancements.
Obviously this does not mean a broken part cannot be replaced with a factory replacement. Mike D.

I'll make a few calls to see what I can learn.

I understand replacing broken parts, not sure if opening up cylinders to gain an advantage with larger balls would not fall under "after market enhancements". The level playing field in "as issue" is not level anymore once you modify the cylinder.

Trigger stops are not allowed in "as Issue pistols. Why would modifying the cylinder diameter to gain an advantage be allowed?

Why not call your friend Keith B., he is your State Coordinator for the NMLRA and he will know, ask for an interpretation.

If taking "as issue" into cylinder modifications, they should only be allowed in the unlimited revolver class. Still can shoot, just not in "as issue"

Richard,

Reaming the chambers to match the barrel is permitted in as-issue matches. The originals were carefully machined so that the chambers and barrels matched, no reason we cannot make the reproductions as good. If you are shooting an International "original" match there are strict limits on repairs and replacement parts, but in the "As Issue" matches in both International and NMLRA competitions you can use any safe set of parts. You cannot modify the design - the most common "cheat" is to try to add a trigger stop, or reshape the sights.

alan

I think the reasoning is that all one is doing when tuning them up is bringing them into the best possible functioning potential within original design specification that factory mass production is unable to attain at a price that makes them affordable.Nothing but factory parts are allowed but they are brought up to the correct dimensional standards proscribed in the design.
The original design specification calls for all chambers being of the same diameter and in alignment with the bore but mass production, particularly of the 19 century, had more difficulty maintaining these tolerance standards than to day with CNC guided power equipment being the norm. Mike D.

M.D. said:
I wonder why any ball near the bore diameter desired could not be orientated on the sprue and run through a simple bump up die to get the diameter desired. They wouldn't need to necessarily be cast to the needed diameter.
Balls are not round anyway when they are shaved to load or when inertia and the forcing cone gets done with them at muzzle exit.
I always orientate the sprue to 12 o'clock when loaded anyway.
Here is something similar to what you are saying - I made a sizing/lube die and wanted to check it's i.d. so i took a .330 dia (00 buckshot) and forced it through the die and this is what shape it came out as - it's dia is .309" - looks like you can get a larger size die and do the same and end up with any size projectile you want :hmm: :v
P1010652.jpg
[/URL][/img]

KH said:
I have a Cimarron (Uberti) 1858 that needs the chambers opened up, the chambers mic out at .450, and the bore slugs out at .457. I'm having a hard time finding a reamer that size at a price I can live with, does anyone know of a place I could rent one?

Question: Is the bore diameter .457" or is it the groove diameter?
If the groove diameter is .457" then you might not really need to open up the chambers all the way to .457" (or bigger). It isn't unusual for percussion revolvers to have relatively narrow grooves in the rifling. This forces the lead to move around quite a bit and the chambers are accordingly made less than groove diameter.
I'm not saying that chambers being groove diameter or slightly over isn't a good thing. Just that you can get pretty good accuracy with undersized chambers depending on the rifling geometry.
But, if your bore is .457" and the chambers are .450" it's barely gonna give the ball a chance to bounce once before leaving the barrel.

I've not shot them I used the buckshot so I could force it through the sizer die to get the I.D. of the die that I made. The die is for a Star luber/sizer designed for the cartridge gun folks :v .

Yes, the groove dia is .457, so a projo will have something to bite. I'm going to try conicals in it to see if they group better than round balls and go from there.

Back