• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions about Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bornintheussr

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Got to confess I knew nothing about this rifles, stumble over one at the gun show and it positively impressed me with quality and the fact that it's US made product. Now pricewise seller was asking $600 and I thinks it was a good deal because with Lyman and TC being discontinued prices went up and my LGS now asking $500 for the average Hawkens and GPRs.

Now what's the story about this Browning rifles why they had only been produced for such short period of time? If anybody had one pls share your experience, especially interesting would be opinions about unusual trigger set up.

JONATHAN-BROWNING-MOUNTAIN-RIFLE-50-CALIBER-PERCUSSION-HALF-STOCK-inch-HAWKEN-STYLEinch-MUZZLE...jpg

I just very recently passed on a 54 cal Browning Mountain Rifle. It was iron mounted and beautiful. The nipple was mushroomed from dry firing. The mainspring is the weak link and very hard to find, if not impossible. That’s why I passed. The little voice in my head reminded me that Kiblers next rifle would be a Hawken. Asking price was $750.

I just very recently passed on a 54 cal Browning Mountain Rifle. It was iron mounted and beautiful. The nipple was mushroomed from dry firing. The mainspring is the weak link and very hard to find, if not impossible. That’s why I passed. The little voice in my head reminded me that Kiblers next rifle would be a Hawken. Asking price was $750.
you so right about Kibler, this idea about coming Hawken keeps me awake at night lol

Got to confess I knew nothing about this rifles, stumble over one at the gun show and it positively impressed me with quality and the fact that it's US made product. Now pricewise seller was asking $600 and I thinks it was a good deal because with Lyman and TC being discontinued prices went up and my LGS now asking $500 for the average Hawkens and GPRs.

Now what's the story about this Browning rifles why they had only been produced for such short period of time? If anybody had one pls share your experience, especially interesting would be opinions about unusual trigger set up.

View attachment 325158
If you plan on keeping and shooting this Browning Mountain Rifle, you probably want to start looking for spare mainsprings now. Wanted a BMR bad back in the day. LGS got one in and called me about it. When I got there the shop owner told me to stand down. The main spring had broken before I got there when he was checking the action…. The original owner of the gun claimed it had a brand new spring in it after the original factory spring had broken. Years later ‘learned’ from the internet that the mainspring was an Achilles Heel with these guns. Believe I still want one, but know better, as I tend to shoot my guns.

You did ask for opinions.

If you plan on keeping and shooting this Browning Mountain Rifle, you probably want to start looking for spare mainsprings now. Wanted a BMR bad back in the day. LGS got one in and called me about it. When I got there the shop owner told me to stand down. The main spring had broken before I got there when he was checking the action…. The original owner of the gun claimed it had a brand new spring in it after the original factory spring had broken. Years later ‘learned’ from the internet that the mainspring was an Achilles Heel with these guns. Believe I still want one, but know better, as I tend to shoot my guns.

Thank you for your opinion SDSmlf, I'm wondering why riffleshoppe or jackfirst would not come up with the spring but then again probably it doesn't make any sence to produce parts for rifle that was in production for only 3 years

I'm glad you told us that. Every time I see one I want it but so far havent jumped. Now I know that, unless it is a really great deal, I'll pass. Got enough rifles in the pile I can't find parts for...

Thank you for your opinion SDSmlf, I'm wondering why riffleshoppe or jackfirst would not come up with the spring but then again probably it doesn't make any sence to produce parts for rifle that was in production for only 3 years
Not sure how many were ultimately produced, though the total for the 45, 50 and 54 caliber offerings have been ‘estimated’ to be somewhere between 10k and 15k. My copy of the Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Arms only states 1000 of the 50 caliber Centennial cased versions with medallion and powder horn were made in 1978. They leave us guessing on the other year’s production numbers.

I have one in 50 cal. Browned barrel. Beautiful gun and great shooter. $600 was a steal for yours. Congrats! I purchased a spare mainspring on Ebay, and have spare sear springs. The guy on Ebay still has one new old stock mainspring left up for sale. You should buy that.

I own multiple BMRs and they are very high quality. The mainsprings are prone to breakage from dry-firing. DO NOT DRY FIRE this rifle and you should be fine for shooting as often as you like. They shoot great! The lock and trigger are unique and work wonderful by pushing trigger forward, after cocking, for set trigger usage. Shoot and enjoy, you'll be glad you bought it. I would grab a mainspring off ebay for insurance purposes.

I saw one new in the box at a pawn shop, the owner didn't know what it was worth, he collects Browning stuff and didn't want to sell it. I shouldered the rifle and thought it was really heavy compared to a TC., I didn't need it and was making one gun after another at that time.

I did go home and look it up to see what a new gun in the box was worth, I came up with about $700 so I called the guy and gave him a heads up. The gun did appear to be well made, just not my cup of tea.

View attachment 325158
I remember when they first came out, they were really well thought of.

I have one in 50 cal I bought in 1981. It has a 1/60 twist. I broke the main spring by accidentally dry firing it.Browning sent me a new one free of charge. I have shot hundreds of rounds wth out any problem.Very accurate rifle .They were couple hundred more than a TC hawken and didn’t sell well so Browning stopped making them.I believe I paid 450 for it on clearance.

Last edited:
I have an iron mounted BMR that was originally a .50 caliber that I had Bobby Hoyt re-bore to .58. It is a great shooting gun, but somewhat heavy. I really like the single set trigger for a hunting rifle as it leaves more room within the trigger guard for my fat sausage like fingers, especially with gloves on. As said in previous posts, the main spring is the weak point on these guns and they are subject to breaking, especially if dry fired. Pick up a spare when you can and you will have a great shooting gun. Also the rear adjustable sight is another weak spot. The adjustment screw tend to loosed up. I replaced mine with a fixed buck horn sight.
I was told that the designer of the BMR used a genuine Hawken as his model, and the guns more closely resembled a Hawken that the others on the market at the time. When the BMR was discontinued, the designer moved to Lyman and was instrumental in the design of the Great Plains rifle.

I have one in 50 cal. Browned barrel. Beautiful gun and great shooter. $600 was a steal for yours. Congrats! I purchased a spare mainspring on Ebay, and have spare sear springs. The guy on Ebay still has one new old stock mainspring left up for sale. You should buy that.
is his username jwcchris ?

I had one some time back, never had any problems with it, shot very well. I didnt know anything about the spring issue, but honestly who dry fires a cap gun??
Every dude that picks one up at the gun store. I don't know why but people love to dry fire muzzleloaders.

Back