• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

opinions of these muskets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayja

40 Cal.
Reaction score
does anyone own any of these Brown Bess and are they a nice musket.[url] http://www.militaryheritage.com/muskets.htm[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
this is the flint rifle page--the Bess is a smoothbore, so you may get more info by posting this question on the smoothbore page.

Of the Three main dealers of India made guns I think this one has recieved the lower grade (Middlesex village,Loyalist Arms, Military Heritage)All are about the same price some people Like these weapons ,some hate them.Ive dealt with Middlesex and after doing my own work on the lock and refinishing the gun to my likes I think they are nice guns for the price...Mark

Since you're looking for opinions, I've never seen an Idina made gun that impressed me. They are cartoons of what they are supposed to represent.
Just my opinion. :winking:

Does anyone know if there are different makers in India supplying these guns? I have seen some that were well-made (for the money) and others that were just plain awful. I would not buy one sight unseen (as in mail order) without an iron clad return policy. The best (worst) example of a 'cartoon gun', as Mike Brooks terms them, that I have seen was an India "Tulle" fusil de chasse (so-called)that was too terrible to be believed. Yet the merchant carried a French military musket that would pass and (for the money)was acceptable. They could not have been made by the same maker---is this a cottage industry over there with different individuals "making" and supplying a central warehouse?

Ive seen a couple of these too.The fishtail I saw looked like a barn timber and looked about as heavy too.Ive seen some Bess's that looked good and some that were pretty luggy looking.The 1717 French musket I bought is a little heavy looking around the lock and where I put my left hand ,But the curve of the butt and wrist are very nice.Better than the picture on the Loyalist website so this leads me to think theres not a lot of uniformity to them.I think if you don't have much money and some skill you could look at them as an In The White project JMHO.......Mark

I have just finished up re-working one of the 1717 French muskets. The wood on these things are around 1/3rd larger than they should be, and needs lots of rasping to get them where they should be. The barrel is much heavier than I expected it to be, and the bright finish is too ethnic for me. So I dulled it down with some steel wool and mustard.

Overall I would say they gun is definately worth the money if you have some tinkering skills. If you cant afford to buy a 1500 custom made reproduction from better makers. They are a far cry from a "cartoon gun" IMHO.

Hey Gren Check out my post under smoothbores on the 1717(Not this thread)Thanks

From what I've heard and this is all hearsay, All three of these places get their guns from basically the same place or group of places. I know from my own experience and that of a friend two things about Military Heritage.

1) They are or have in the past been extremely slow in responding to orders.
2) The Baker Rifle they sell was really cobbled up with regards to the Breach Hook and Tang assembly.

On the up side, from their WEB site and the owner's BLOG, Middlesex Village tries to work with their suppliers to provide accurate guns and they in some cases, buy the parts and put them together themselves. They also seem to have a collection of originals that they use for patterns for the guns they sell. They also from posts here and elsewhere seem to respond quickly to orders, questions, and problems.

I got a Middlesex Village "1728" Bess third hand (hands 1&2 being Forum members). It's not much "bulkier" than my Pedersoli "carbine",or my old Dixie (Ital.? or Jap.?). I don't care for the shiney finish so it's on my winter project list. It is fun at the range though, aggrivating others with big fire and smoke, especially on inversion days ! Bill

ya, ain't black powder fun especially the bigger bores in Flint, More Smoke and Fire. :thumbsup:

Not to change the thread ..bit I was at a mostly modern public range many years back with my Bess ..At my first shot a rather large group gathered around ..mostly to the right of me..I called out..."FIRE IN THE HOLE" nobody moved ..Until she went off....... I was soon the only person there :haha:

" quickly to orders, questions, and problems. " I've found this to be VERY true the last 2 weeks. Fred :hatsoff: (you ask and they jump!)

I have had the pleasure to deal with Loyalist and they are quite attentive and offer some nice stuff!!!

Actually while speaking with a gent there he told me that they have a specific factory that only works for them there....So I figure that each company has there own production company.

THOUGH I CAN ONLY SPEAK ABOUT LOYALIST

I have never done buisness with middlesex "yet"

And all my experiences with discriminating general have been less then descriminating... :winking:

Rob

Have to agree about the Loyalist folks. Blair has graciously put up with some really silly questions and "brilliant" ideas on my part! :haha:

I haven't done any business with Military Heritage, but just bought a Long Land Bess from MVTCo back in January. Compared to a Pedersoli, the wood on mine was slightly thicker, but the balance was spot on. Not worth messing with IMO. The barrel is a bit bright, but that's easy enough to fix. It has a nice walnut finish, looks very similar to the Pedersoli. The only real issue that I had was the bayonet, which was a bit loose. It could have been fixed with some machining, but I was lazy and just glued a small strip of black leather to the inside (can't see it unless you're looking for it), which fixed the problem. Overall, I was very happy with mine. Since then, members of my group picked up some more from a different batch where the wood was bulkier and the finish a bit orange in appearance. Honestly, it seems to be hit or miss as to how much work you will have to do with them. Mine required very little, other members had to put a few hours into them. Given what we paid, though, no one seems to be complaining.

Back