• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions wanted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uhmmm...I assume from posting on this board you mean some sort of powder used in muzzleloaders, and guessing you're not referring to smokeless powder in a Savage ML, that leaves several real BP powders and BP substitutes.

I've used a lot of Pyrodex RS, Select, and P in percussions and found them all to be very good with little fouling.
Since switching to flintlocks, I've switched to real BP. I first tried Elephant FFFg but the particular cans of lot #24/99 that I got were no good and I couldn't use them.

Then I tried Goex and thought I'd died and gone to heaven...it's so much faster and cleaner than Pyrodex, that I've also switched all my percussions to it as well...both Goex FFFg and FFg have been outstanding for me

I agree with, "roundball", use Goex... You can't go any better in my opinion! :applause: :)

I use Goex in most of my guns,,and it is good,but it doesn't even come close to Swiss. The worst that I have used is Elephant,but there is some good lots of it if you can find them. I use only Swiss in my .32,and I can shoot it a lot, (over fifty shots) without cleaning.

As I posted several weeks ago, the Swiss stands head and shoulders above all of the other true black powders.
Elephant (at least the cans that I have) leaves a lot of fouling.
I haven't tried 777 but Pyrodex is also very clean burning in my precussion guns.

I have to say that triple 777 is the best when comes time to clean the m/l .
I use this stuff in my 54 cal Thunderhawk inline last year clean up is a snap.
Triple is hot remember to reduce your load by 15 percent if you are going to try this stuff.

Everybodys opinion will, no doubt, vary.
I only use Goex, I never clean between shots, the only way cleanup would be easier is if I didn't have to do it at all.
Goex does it for me.

I love controversy!
So I'll start something controversial. Makes one THINK don'cha'know? We Americans don't do enough of it. Thinking that is.
Goex SUCKS!
There! That'll fire up some threads huh?
Now you guys just relax a bit and understand something. I personally know a real bonified EXPERT on black powder.
Goex today is much better than it was.
Keep something else in mind.
ALL of our black powder is junk today with the execption of SWISS.
Elephant is much better than it was.
With the exception of Swiss neither Elephant or Goex can compare to the powders manufactured over 100 years ago.
If you only use ONE brand of powder and it goes "boom" and makes a lot of white smoke, how can you possibly swear it's the best there is unless you have something to compare it to?
One of the best powders used in the Conflict between the States was made by the Confederacy.
Why? They had experts on that side of the conflict that understood what makes black powder less fouling and more efficient. They also had a source of a particular wood that made very good charcoal.
After the conflict was over you would think that under the Reconstruction Acts we would have continued making that good powder but NO the poeple that made powder for the North eliminated the powder mill in the South.
Wanna really understand something about black powder?
http://www.schuetzen.net/bill_knight.htm
Good reading.

The jury is still out but early trials and I am leaning toward Swiss in both my flinters and Sharps.

Hawkeye

Back