• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Organization

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trdixon1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
How does every one organize their shooting bags? What do you use to hold your patches? What materials have you used to make your ball bag?

kansan1 said:
How does every one organize their shooting bags? What do you use to hold your patches? What materials have you used to make your ball bag?

I made my own shooting bag which has two small pockets sewn side by side. I carry small pliers, screw driver, cleaning patches, jag, patch puller, jerky, and flint wallet in the main pocket. In the small pockets, balls in one and pre lubed "dry patches" in the other. Some people who use greased patches may carry a tin to hold patches. On the strap, I have a loop on the side of the bag for holding my ball starter and a strap for holding my deer antler tip powder charger.

I do carry a ball bag at times which is made from suede deer hide, but only carry it if I am going to do some target practice at the end of the day.

I have found that when in the field I normally had too much manure in my bag so that when reaching into the bag I could not find anything I wanted. I solved the problem by making a double pouched bag. The front pouch holds everything needs for the shoot/walk through/etc. and the rear cleaning equiptment, extra flints, flint and steel, etc. My round ball is carried in a separate pouch hung around my neck on the side opposite the shooting pouch.
Hope this helps in some way.

I use some brass cannisters to hold lubed patches, and cleaning patches. You can use a ball block to hold some PRB that can be easily pushed into the muzzle of the gun. I have a small leather ball bag that stays in the bottom of my bag. I carry other tools, like needle nose pliers, a screwdriver, & my Flinter's Tool( from The Hawken Shop)which I keep tied to a boot lace thong tied to the strap of my bag, so that I can pull the flinter's tool out quickly when needed. In the bottom, lying around loose, are my patch, and ball pulling jags. I have a small pocket in one bag that carries toothpicks to plug my vent hole when needed, and some cleaning patches( extra.

you can add pockets, or use small hand made bags, or tins to hold balls or patches, etc. What you will find as you gain experience is that alot of the "stuff" you first carry in your bag simply is NEVER used during a hunt, and you find yourself slowly eliminating all those things from your bag, and begin finding ways to carry less and less, depending on the type of hunt, and the game being hunted.

For instance, I bought a small belt Bag, from October Country, Years ago, to use as a " Wallet" on my belt. However, as the years have passed, it beginning to look PERFECT to me to carry all the stuff I really use on any deer hunt. I can use tubes to carry pre-measured powder charges, and eliminate the need to carry my powder horns. I can use a ball block to carry lubed PRBs for the hunt. The two jags will probably stay, but the cannister that carries the lubed patches will stay in my truck. Only the cannister carrying my cleaning patches will go, and I might just carry the cleaning patches without the cannister, to eliminate even that couple of oz. of weight! The pliers, and Screwdriver will stay at the truck, but the flinter's tool will take the trip into the woods.

If I eliminate most of the bulk and weight of my existing hunting pouch, and eliminate the need to carry powder horns, I will have less stuff grabbing at the bushes I pass.

Oh, I can carry my priming horn- or antler-, or capper, in my pockets- which I do now, anyway. I use an inside shirt pocket to keep the items dry and warm.

I use a daypack to carry water, food, raincoat, rope, and extras for comfort issues. A haversack performed the same function historically, and can still do so. I found I like to have that weight distributed on both shoulders, rather than just one, and that is why I use a daypack.

Don't expect to have a "Perfect" set-up for your range bag, or hunting pouch. No one pouch is going to do everything you need for all types of game you can hunt, or for all kinds of weather conditions. LIKE Women, you will NEED more than one hunting Bag! :blah: :shocked2:

I now have a separate shooting bag for each long gun, and that belt bag I have been using as a wallet to hold my wallet, car keys, knife, and change. There are other solutions to solve how to carry that stuff.

For instance, a friend had an Otter pelt, that he cut a slit in the middle, and then sewed shut the ends. It was a wallet with two pockets that was draped over his belt. It was a little inconvenient to get into, as the slit entry was partially covered by his broad belt, but he didn't want his wallet to be "convenient" to enter, for security reasons. That Otter pelt was simply gorgeous, BTW, and drew lots of comments wherever he went. :hmm: :thumbsup:

paulvallandigham said:
....LIKE Women, you will NEED more than one hunting Bag! :blah: :shocked2:

Are you saying you need more than one woman? At your age? :rotf: :nono:

I made a ball bag from a pair of leather pants I got at a yard sale. Originally intended for and used for making flies I feel it was too thin.It worked, but was a bit too light for the heavier items.I passed up some items made of leather because the leather was a little too thick for what I wanted,but would be perfect for the stuff I want to make for ml now. :idunno: I'll find it again this year you can't beat a $1.00 or a $1.50 for a leather jacket or vest or whatever that's perfect except for that one little stain they couldn't get out. :wink:

Well, if I'm out roamin' around it depends on the weather. Hot, cold, wet...I might use my pockets instead. I have an excellent powder horn. I have an excellent pan charger. And my favorite one to grab is a vanilla extract bottle. :idunno:
Just to simplify my life even further I'm threatenin' to sew a little powder measure onto the front end of the sling on a carbine just as soon as I find out what it likes best.

Back