• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original 1844 Springfield smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I could only get pics with my phone where I saw this today so I apologize for quality. The stock and metal parts are very clean - very little rust and no pitting. The bore has some pitting but should clean up nicely. Would anyone like to give me a hint as to the approximate value of such a piece? I know nothing about pre-War firearms.

Attachments

• 8112642C-1BE9-4E5C-ABB3-5D22C5000C53.jpeg
    8112642C-1BE9-4E5C-ABB3-5D22C5000C53.jpeg
    1.6 MB
  • A34E9EAC-CF46-45F1-AA46-E8F907630945.jpeg
    A34E9EAC-CF46-45F1-AA46-E8F907630945.jpeg
    1.5 MB
I agree with Dave, stock has been sanded and refinished. Metal parts most likely polished as well but hard to say more without closeup pictures.

Looks like a overly cleaned M1842 made at Springfield or Harpers Ferry Arsenal. If the lock has 1844 on it, the breech of the barrel should too, along with a VP and Eagle. I say that because the patina on the lock is different from the barrel, so it could be a replaced part. That could have happened in the Civil War, or last year when someone put it together to sell as an original. So just be careful.

If you do a Google search using original m1842 springfield value, you will get a number of “hits,” including a link to a thread on this forum and a link to an article by the NRA in their “I Have This Old Gun” series. Based on what I found from a quick review of reliable sites, I would suggest an assessed value range of $1,400 - $1,800 for a gun in the fair to good range, on up to $4,500 - $5,000 for one in excellent condition. I would agree that the subject gun appears to have been refinished, which will reduce its collector value but I don’t know how much. If you are a shooter, as opposed to a collector, this can work to your advantage. Based on those two photos, I think it’s a nice looking musket. Despite the refinish, it looks pretty much complete. If the lock and trigger are functional and the bore can be cleaned up without too much effort, I would offer $950 for a start, and would be prepared to pay up to $1,500. I have handled, disassembled, and reassembled a few original Springfield and Harper’s Ferry guns and I believe to my soul the originals are better guns than the reproductions, especially the locks, yet the repros often sell for more.

if you want it to shoot and it is in fact as good as it looks in the photos, I would consider anything up to $1,500 a good price. However, I am not an expert and I have no qualifications to make that assessment. It’s just my opinion.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

One in much more original condition was recently listed on this site as well as the NSSA forum for $1100. So I would put this one quite a bit lower.

Back