• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOR SALE Original 1861/1863 Springfield Percussion Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTyler7011

Pilgrim
Reaction score
US NORWICH Contract Springfield. Everything checks out. Lock works well. Ramrod is in good shape. No real damage to mention. Sling swivels and barrel band springs are good. A very good example. Rear sights flip up nicely.

Lock says 1864. Barrel has proper VP eagle and has proper US on the buttplate. Comes with balls.

$1250 plus shipping

Attachments

• IMG_2391.jpeg
    IMG_2391.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2393.jpeg
    IMG_2393.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2394.jpeg
    IMG_2394.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2395.jpeg
    IMG_2395.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2396.jpeg
    IMG_2396.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
I thought at first I’d stay out of this but I’m interested in the musket because I also have a Norwich 1861 contract rifle musket. I don’t want to offend anyone but I see some problems that I believe the OP has an obligation to explain.

At first glance it appears to me that the lock and perhaps also the barrel have been “cleaned” with a wire brush. However, that doesn’t necessarily require an explanation (caveat emptor). The photos aren’t clear enough on my phone but the stock looks very new to me compared to the lock and barrel. My impression overall is that this gun has been pieced together, and perhaps the OP (a “Pilgrim” on this forum) either does not know or chose not to point out flaws. Again, caveat emptor.

What does give me pause is the OP’s statement that, “barrel band springs are good” when there clearly are no barrel band springs. I’m not accusing the OP of being deceptive but as I wrote above, I believe that an explanation is in order.

FWIW, both my Norwich and one being offered right now by another forum member have barrel bands with springs not screws. I don’t know enough about contract muskets to say if there were none made by Norwich with screws only like the one offered in this listing. Anyone know for sure??
I have been collecting muskets for the past 5-6 years. I have no excuse for falsely talking about barrel bands when none are present. I apologize as I posted a ton for sale and got my head in a pretzel.

In regards to the stock. I purchased the weapon from rock island auction a few years ago with the assumption by them that it is an original stock. It feels real to me. I’ve had 5 or so civil war springfields in my life so I’m by no means an expert but I feel like I would know if it wasn’t real. But again, I can’t ’guarantee’…you just have to ask for whatever pictures you want me to take

Just some reassurance for any perspective buyers and fellow forum members:

I met The Tyler in person last week to do some trading for the club butt fowler he had listed.

I can verify that there is no scam. Tyler is a nice fellow with a real nice collection of arms to be sold.

I’m definitely staying tuned to see what else he lists.

Just some reassurance for any perspective buyers and fellow forum members:

I met The Tyler in person last week to do some trading for the club butt fowler he had listed.

I can verify that there is no scam. Tyler is a nice fellow with a real nice collection of arms to be sold.

I’m definitely staying tuned to see what else he lists.
Thank you!

Back