• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original medium sized axe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this in a local shop here in Vermont. Somebody thought they were “fixing it” by doing a spot weld. It’s about 2-2.5 pounds in weight. Ideas on age and origin?

Attachments

• IMG_2452.jpeg
    IMG_2452.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2453.jpeg
    IMG_2453.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Without maker's marks, or some kind of import stamp it would be quite difficult to identify. It's pretty generic looking to my untrained eye. Could be British. Could be American. Doubtful it's French, though I could be wrong here, too.

Without maker's marks, or some kind of import stamp it would be quite difficult to identify. It's pretty generic looking to my untrained eye. Could be British. Could be American. Doubtful it's French, though I could be wrong here, too.
I am curious about the shape of the blade. On many (most?) French and English axes of the 18th century or earlier the top line from the eye to the edge is horizontal with no upward flare. Undecided on whether I will buy it.

"Yup...seen it. Seen it right off." Makes me wonder if it was 19th century smith-made in the USA axe head. Or (gasp!) a 20th century reproduction, maybe even made in the 1970s.

Back