• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original percussion hammers - cast,forged, what?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have a couple of originals with missing chunks due to erosion (?) of the portion of the hammers that strike the nipple. Seems to be common as I've had others in the past with the same issue. One is a good shooter - English single-barrel, half-stock 12 gauge that I enjoy hunting with, but the hammer has eroded to the point that cap fragments fly off and endanger my eyes.

So - out of ignorance, I ask ....would it work to have someone add material (weld/braize/?) then file down to the original configuration? Back in the day (mid-late 19th century), did lock makers use cast iron parts or somehow forge such parts? Suggested repair? Thanks in advance for advice.

Back