• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ottoman Guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently I translated a bit of a book that I figured would be of interest to some here. Specifically relevant to Ottoman Guns, accessories, and typology in the Eastern regions, more specifically among the Armenians of Sasun. The neighboring Kurds and Assyrians also existed in a common cultural space, so more likely than not the bigger picture applies to them as well.

"The main weapon of the Sasunian was the Chakhmakhli (Miquelet Lock) musket. Chakhmakhli muskets, which the locals called Tv@ng, had several names according to their type. Majar, Shashkhan, Tersmi, Stampuli, Nahvlu, etc etc. They were to various degrees of long, short, or medium length. The diameters of the barrels were different as well. As such, the Stampuli's barrel was 15 millimeters in diameter, took three direms of black powder and a big ball, while the other types had barrels 12 millimeters in diameter, took from 1.5–2 direms of black powder, and were loaded with smaller balls.

The parts of the muskets were named lula (Barrel), vet or ghondagh (Butt), abrjan (The part connecting the barrel to the stock), nshanga (Sights), chakhmakh (Miquelet lock), the cushion of the tez (?), and the shish and ghayish (Gun container and sling).

Auxiliary items included the shshmat (wooden ramrod), darb@nks (cartridges), and a leather cartridge pouch, in which cartridges with enough black powder for one shot were lined up, whose openings were closed with cloth corks, so that the powder would not fall out if the user was making fast movements. The corks were tied up with leather strings to keep them secure.

To have black powder ready at hand, it was poured into a flask made of a water buffalo's horn or hard wood, which was decorated with ivory, mother of pearl, and silver thread. The backside was thick, while the front was thin and curved. A strong steel mechanism was attached, whereby upon squeezing it the hole for powder would open up, and by letting go it would close.

The direm was a cylindrical measuring device made of yellow pig iron, in which a long square-shaped metal bar was attached. The bar was moved back and forward, and stopped when it reached the level corresponding to the load taken by a given musket. The correct load was then poured into the darb@nks, and if necessary into the gun itself. 50–60 ready-made lead balls and extra flints were kept in the Gluli javd (A closed leather bag). As decoration, thin and long tassels were hung from the bottom of the javd.

When arming himself, the Sasunian would tie the cartridge pouch to his back, then the Javd bag and the powder flask would be worn from the left shoulder, ending up under the right arm. The dagger was worn on the right side of the belt, while the sword was hung on a belt from the right shoulder ending up under the left arm. All of that together made up the armament of a Sasunian."
-Eghizar Karapetyan, "Sasun: Ethnographic Materials).

Below is a photo of a man from Sasun with all his armament. You can see the details match very well with a lot of the stuff described above, although he has some extra weapons (A shield and an axe. Although the excerpt above says they were armed with only a dagger, gun, and sword the axe and shield are well documented in other literature). I also didn't get where some of the stuff like the bag is.
I shall never be able to remember half of these terms, but great info to know & pass on. I did notice what seemed a Pallaska ,cartridge box , With all that kit I bet they suffered from metal fatigue . The direm if made of yellow pig iron seems an odd choice when brass would make more sense .Apart from hitching through it once & had bother with some presumed Kurds .All these revelations are like Alice in Wonderland getting curiouser & curiuser the more she looked at it .
Thankyou & Regards Rudyard

Recently I translated a bit of a book that I figured would be of interest to some here. Specifically relevant to Ottoman Guns, accessories, and typology in the Eastern regions, more specifically among the Armenians of Sasun. The neighboring Kurds and Assyrians also existed in a common cultural space, so more likely than not the bigger picture applies to them as well.

"The main weapon of the Sasunian was the Chakhmakhli (Miquelet Lock) musket. Chakhmakhli muskets, which the locals called Tv@ng, had several names according to their type. Majar, Shashkhan, Tersmi, Stampuli, Nahvlu, etc etc. They were to various degrees of long, short, or medium length. The diameters of the barrels were different as well. As such, the Stampuli's barrel was 15 millimeters in diameter, took three direms of black powder and a big ball, while the other types had barrels 12 millimeters in diameter, took from 1.5–2 direms of black powder, and were loaded with smaller balls.

The parts of the muskets were named lula (Barrel), vet or ghondagh (Butt), abrjan (The part connecting the barrel to the stock), nshanga (Sights), chakhmakh (Miquelet lock), the cushion of the tez (?), and the shish and ghayish (Gun container and sling).

Auxiliary items included the shshmat (wooden ramrod), darb@nks (cartridges), and a leather cartridge pouch, in which cartridges with enough black powder for one shot were lined up, whose openings were closed with cloth corks, so that the powder would not fall out if the user was making fast movements. The corks were tied up with leather strings to keep them secure.

To have black powder ready at hand, it was poured into a flask made of a water buffalo's horn or hard wood, which was decorated with ivory, mother of pearl, and silver thread. The backside was thick, while the front was thin and curved. A strong steel mechanism was attached, whereby upon squeezing it the hole for powder would open up, and by letting go it would close.

The direm was a cylindrical measuring device made of yellow pig iron, in which a long square-shaped metal bar was attached. The bar was moved back and forward, and stopped when it reached the level corresponding to the load taken by a given musket. The correct load was then poured into the darb@nks, and if necessary into the gun itself. 50–60 ready-made lead balls and extra flints were kept in the Gluli javd (A closed leather bag). As decoration, thin and long tassels were hung from the bottom of the javd.

When arming himself, the Sasunian would tie the cartridge pouch to his back, then the Javd bag and the powder flask would be worn from the left shoulder, ending up under the right arm. The dagger was worn on the right side of the belt, while the sword was hung on a belt from the right shoulder ending up under the left arm. All of that together made up the armament of a Sasunian."
-Eghizar Karapetyan, "Sasun: Ethnographic Materials).

Below is a photo of a man from Sasun with all his armament. You can see the details match very well with a lot of the stuff described above, although he has some extra weapons (A shield and an axe. Although the excerpt above says they were armed with only a dagger, gun, and sword the axe and shield are well documented in other literature). I also didn't get where some of the stuff like the bag is.
Nice info! And interesting connections with surrounding languages in some of the terms. Çakmaklı/Chakhmakhli means "with flint/flintlock" in Turkish, çakmak both meaning lock, flintstone and (today) lighter. Ghondagh sounds like kundak, which means stock in Turkish (it also means a baby's swaddle, funny enough). Ghayish sounds like kayış, which means sling in Turkish as well. Not sure about the etymological roots of these words. Nshanga sounds like nişangah, which I think was taken from Persian (-gah means place of in Persian, and nişan means sign, but as a verb, to aim).

I also wonder if the Stampuli is a different pronounciation of Istanbuli, and if Tv@ng has any relationship with "tüfeng". Either way, good to know, and nice photograph.

Avto: Thanks so much for the photo and definitions/explanations. Very comprehensive. Of course, I'll never remember all of them, so I printed your information to keep in my library. Again, thank you.

Rick

I shall never be able to remember half of these terms, but great info to know & pass on. I did notice what seemed a Pallaska ,cartridge box , With all that kit I bet they suffered from metal fatigue . The direm if made of yellow pig iron seems an odd choice when brass would make more sense .Apart from hitching through it once & had bother with some presumed Kurds .All these revelations are like Alice in Wonderland getting curiouser & curiuser the more she looked at it .
Thankyou & Regards Rudyard
Palaska: I notice in the photo that Avto just posted that the small metal box is square shaped. I believe the square shaped boxes were used to house a small copy of the Koran. What we typically refer to the Palaski, for carrying pre-made cartridges are shaped like the two in Cyten's #766 photo/post above. And here.
Many years ago I tried an experiment at the shooting range. I wanted to see how useful these little brass containers were for carrying and retrieving pre-made cartridges. The little containers hold 4-5 pre-made cartridges each. So I made up 5 cartridges, put them in one of the containers, and strapped the belt around my waist. I also tied a suma rod (pistol ramrod) around my neck. The purpose of the experiment was to see if the little containers with the separate rod actually aided in faster reloading of the pistol. My conclusion was that it did indeed speed the reloading time. Could easily reload in half of a minute. So the separate suma rod and palaski worked well together. Made it easy to understand their popularity.

Rick

DSC00651 (Medium).JPG
Balkan Pistol-1 001 (Medium).jpg
DSC00509 (Medium).JPG

Palaska: I notice in the photo that Avto just posted that the small metal box is square shaped. I believe the square shaped boxes were used to house a small copy of the Koran. What we typically refer to the Palaski, for carrying pre-made cartridges are shaped like the two in Cyten's #766 photo/post above. And here.
Many years ago I tried an experiment at the shooting range. I wanted to see how useful these little brass containers were for carrying and retrieving pre-made cartridges. The little containers hold 4-5 pre-made cartridges each. So I made up 5 cartridges, put them in one of the containers, and strapped the belt around my waist. I also tied a suma rod (pistol ramrod) around my neck. The purpose of the experiment was to see if the little containers with the separate rod actually aided in faster reloading of the pistol. My conclusion was that it did indeed speed the reloading time. Could easily reload in half of a minute. So the separate suma rod and palaski worked well together. Made it easy to understand their popularity.

Rick

View attachment 348299View attachment 348300View attachment 348301
I never dreamed as I started this thread that it would take us all down an' Alice in Wonderland 'rabbit hole. But very pleased it has linked us all to this, By most Western standards' Left Field 'aspect of firearms & related items. If it was the enterprising Major Nowel Corry who by being obliged to haul away hundreds of stored presumed confiscated barrels from Iranian Police stations in the 70s (He only really wanted Persian Artillery Lugers )Most all of these often very old barrels being put to percussion in a most irreverant crudity . But without his unwitting aid I & I expect others Like Puckka Bundook might never been able to preserve or use such battered gems at two or 3 pounds apiece '. Kismet?' . Fate for sure has conspired to lead us together with the help of Alice of course .
Regards & Salutations to us all . Rudyard

Nice info! And interesting connections with surrounding languages in some of the terms. Çakmaklı/Chakhmakhli means "with flint/flintlock" in Turkish, çakmak both meaning lock, flintstone and (today) lighter. Ghondagh sounds like kundak, which means stock in Turkish (it also means a baby's swaddle, funny enough). Ghayish sounds like kayış, which means sling in Turkish as well. Not sure about the etymological roots of these words. Nshanga sounds like nişangah, which I think was taken from Persian (-gah means place of in Persian, and nişan means sign, but as a verb, to aim).

I also wonder if the Stampuli is a different pronounciation of Istanbuli, and if Tv@ng has any relationship with "tüfeng". Either way, good to know, and nice photograph.
Thanks everyone, glad it was useful info :).

Yes, the words are mostly Turkish in origin but rendered according to local pronunciation. The @ in tv@ng is pronounced as Turkish "i" without a dot on top of it.

Some more interesting pictures showing muzzleloaders from this general cultural region (Notice the similarity of the costumes and weapons):

1: Kurdish Agha from Van
2: Assyrian men from Northern Iran
3: Assyrians from Mardin Province

Attachments

• jioasdioasd.JPG
    jioasdioasd.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 0
  • jasjdoasdasd.JPG
    jasjdoasdasd.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 0
  • alsdkoakdkpsoa.JPG
    alsdkoakdkpsoa.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 0
I never dreamed as I started this thread that it would take us all down an' Alice in Wonderland 'rabbit hole. But very pleased it has linked us all to this, By most Western standards' Left Field 'aspect of firearms & related items. If it was the enterprising Major Nowel Corry who by being obliged to haul away hundreds of stored presumed confiscated barrels from Iranian Police stations in the 70s (He only really wanted Persian Artillery Lugers )Most all of these often very old barrels being put to percussion in a most irreverant crudity . But without his unwitting aid I & I expect others Like Puckka Bundook might never been able to preserve or use such battered gems at two or 3 pounds apiece '. Kismet?' . Fate for sure has conspired to lead us together with the help of Alice of course .
Regards & Salutations to us all . Rudyard
LOL. By now, the "Ottoman Guns" Thread is book length. It's sure been a fun ride, and still going. Personally, I've learned much information. Also, it has been a great pleasure to welcome members from - or very familiar with - these Eastern regions adding great content.

Rick

LOL. By now, the "Ottoman Guns" Thread is book length. It's sure been a fun ride, and still going. Personally, I've learned much information. Also, it has been a great pleasure to welcome members from - or very familiar with - these Eastern regions adding great content.

Rick
I agree entirely,
Regards Rudyard

I just lost an auction for a Makedonka, so I thought I’d post a little bit of info on them, lol. Here are a couple pages from the Russian book “Турецкое Оружие” (Turkish Weapons) by E.G. Astvatsaturyan that I’ve passed through google translate.
View attachment 296304
View attachment 296305
View attachment 296306

The book is available to read for free online HERE, though it is in Russian, there are a lot of interesting photos. I have got translated the 4 chapters regarding Firearms

The book is a study of the arms in the Russian State Museum collection, so it is documented where and when the pieces were acquired and helps with identifying Shishane styles from different centuries.
I've become interested in the equipment and methods used to load these guns. I had a look at this book and I used Google translate to find some info on pages 293-295.

On page 295 the author describes how the spouts of Ottoman powder flasks have a "bone latch" that slides back and forth to open or close a gate to the spout to only allow a measured amount of gunpowder to go into the gun. I think this is referencing the powder flask shown on page 293 (shown below, and cyten has shown this image before) because it has a part sticking out the side which looks like it's made of bone. It doesn't look like it has a spring to return the latch. I've seen this system shown on some flasks shown on this forum, but I've also seen horns on this forum of this style without the latch, so I don't think the author's description is universal.

I also saw these drawings of a janissary loading a musket (I think cyten showed these images). I noticed that the janissary was loading his gun directly from the horn, and he's also using a funnel. I'm guessing that his horn has the latch system to load a measured amount of powder. I am unsure if soldiers (of any place or time period) went into battle using their powder flasks without measuring the amount of powder they put in. On one hand, it's simple and fast. On the other hand, it's inconsistent and dangerous.
Also, page 295 makes it clear that "natruska/natruka" means a priming flask.

Attachments

• ottoman powder horn description.png
    ottoman powder horn description.png
    273.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Ottoman powder horn.png
    Ottoman powder horn.png
    177.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Ottoman powder horn loading english.png
    Ottoman powder horn loading english.png
    561.7 KB · Views: 0
Hi Conrad

From what I've been able to learn over the years is that the style of powder containers used throughout much of the Ottoman Empire varied in both style and construction materials. Although some styles seemed to be more prominent in certain regions. Possibly due to the flask style seeming to originate in that region.
I probably have posted some of these flasks from my collection in past posts on this Thread. But can do so again if interested.

Rick

@AvtoGaz is incredibly knowledgeable on the Armenian arms and I thank you for sharing and look forward to more!

On page 295 the author describes how the spouts of Ottoman powder flasks have a "bone latch" that slides back and forth to open or close a gate to the spout to only allow a measured amount of gunpowder to go into the gun...
It doesn't look like it has a spring to return the latch. I've seen this system shown on some flasks shown on this forum, but I've also seen horns on this forum of this style without the latch, so I don't think the author's description is universal.

I also saw these drawings of a janissary loading a musket (I think cyten showed these images). I noticed that the janissary was loading his gun directly from the horn, and he's also using a funnel. I'm guessing that his horn has the latch system to load a measured amount of powder. I am unsure if soldiers (of any place or time period) went into battle using their powder flasks without measuring the amount of powder they put in.
I agree with Rick, in that the style of horn/flask varied throughout the ages and regions. Also, that illustration of the Janissary I believe was drawn by the author, or specifically for the book, not an official manual of arms ( I dont know if one remains in existence )

Now that the jet lag is over and I've had some time to settle in, I managed to get the Ottoman guns out for a group photo

ottomangroup.jpg

rattailgroup.jpg

A few new faces thanks to some folks here letting them go to a loving home. The Boyliya is missing its hammer/cock but I'm having someone work on that for me in Bulgaria.
Just missing a Dzeferdar, Makedonka, and Rasak... maybe one day!

Back