• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ozark Mtn. Arms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with a Hawken rifle made by Ozark Mountain Arms back around 1980?

Spence

To the best of my memory, it's pretty much the same piece as the Santa Fe Hawken made by Uberti.

The Uberti made piece that I had was pretty high quality, but it was a 53 cal, shooting a .520 ball, as opposed to a standard 54 cal.

God bless

J.D. said:
To the best of my memory, it's pretty much the same piece as the Santa Fe Hawken made by Uberti.

Hi, J.D. I remember the Santa Fe Hawken by Uberti, but that's a different gun. The Hawken by Ozark Mountain Arms was American made by a small company in Missouri run by Jean Reynaud, had a Green Mountain barrel, Ron Long lock and double set triggers by L&R Lock Company. The Uberti Hawken was an Italian made gun, apparently one of the more authentic of the imported replicas.

Spence

I remember the Ozark Mtn guns. Have even visited the facilities. But that was a loooong time ago.
TC

George said:
Hi, J.D. I remember the Santa Fe Hawken by Uberti, but that's a different gun. The Hawken by Ozark Mountain Arms was American made by a small company in Missouri run by Jean Reynaud, had a Green Mountain barrel, Ron Long lock and double set triggers by L&R Lock Company. The Uberti Hawken was an Italian made gun, apparently one of the more authentic of the imported replicas.

Spence

Yes Ozark Mountain Arms was located in Branson, MO, if my memory is correct. I do believe that the Ozark Mountain Hawken was the predecessor to the Uberti, in the same way as the Hatfield was to the Pedersoli Frontier.

I'm going from memory here, and we all know about fuzzy memories, but I think the Uberti Santa Fe Hawken came out shortly before or shortly after Ozark Mountain Arms closed down.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the two rifles were almost identical, if my memory is correct...and in this case it may not be. :redface:

I do remember making an inquiry about buying one of the Ozark Mtn. guns, but couldn't get a hold of them, or some such. Either way, I ended up with the Uberti.

The Ozark Mtn guns were supposed to be good quality, but I don't remember how true to the originals they were.

God bless

Ozark Mtn. Arms ,Branson Mo. built custom high quality Hawken style arms circa 1980----. they were not affiliated with any foreign manufacturers. Guns were ordered and custom built one at a time according to the customers requests, cal, barrel length, pull etc. A friend of mine ordered one back "when" and he still has it today....very high quality...

Long Knife said:
Ozark Mtn. Arms ,Branson Mo. built custom high quality Hawken style arms circa 1980----. they were not affiliated with any foreign manufacturers. Guns were ordered and custom built one at a time according to the customers requests, cal, barrel length, pull etc. A friend of mine ordered one back "when" and he still has it today....very high quality...

Yes, that's the one. Anyone on the board ever used one?

Spence

I've owned an Ozark Mtn Arms Hawken since 1980, too. Best shooting percussion gun I've shot! Very high quality, indeed. Ordered with special wood selection in '80 through The Mountain Man shop in Manitou Springs, Colo. If I recall, in-the-white semi-finished was in the $600 price range. Any ideas what they're worth now?

I bought mine in the white, too. I have never shot it much, but it is an accurate, dependable gun. I have no real idea of its value, would like to know. I have seen prices mentioned for another popular Hawken from the same period of time, made by Green River Rifle Works, of $1500, don't know how realistic that is.

My gun tolerates heavy charges, in the range of 90-110 gr. FFFg with a round ball, but always seemed accurate across a wide range of charges down to 60 grains, no particular sweet spot. How about yours, what do you usually shoot in it?

HawkenC.jpg

HawkenE.jpg

HawkenP.jpg

Spence

Hi Spence! I've always thought, too, that these rifles would be in the $1200 - $1700 range, depending on wood & overall condition; but, seeing what GRRW Hawkens are now bringing, over $2000 plus, leaves you to wonder. Mine is stocked in fancy walnut, and I added a plains style capbox, also. Mine, too, shoots well over a range of 55 to 110 grains of FFg, as I match the load to the target distance. Once had a local bet me I couldn't hit the backstop at 300 meters; well, 110 gr and some Kentucky elevation sure proved him wrong! All in all, Ozark Mtns were/are great guns!!

I've never seen or handled an Ozark Mountain Hawken, but from the photos you provide I can say it is indeed comparable to my GRRW Hawken. If the accuracy is as good too, then I wouldn't be surprised if the price is within the ranges being discussed.

George said:
J.D. said:

Spence

spence you are correct they where made in Branson Missouri.
Bernie :thumbsup:

Is anyone familiar with a Hawken rifle made by Ozark Mountain Arms back around 1980?

Spence
I have one. Bought it in kit form because of the articles in The Bucks in Report by John Baird. At the time there was a shop in Kenosha wisconsin carrying on The Hawken Shop with a gunsmith that used to work supposedly in St Louis. That kenosha store closed but the gunsmith operated a back yard garage shop off Sheridan road and 65th street. I took my kit to him and he assembled the kit to blueprint specs from a blueprint I also got from The Bucks in Report of a 1830s Hawken. I keep the gun locked and not fired because at 73 I still cherish the rifle

Old thread. Yes, OMA closed quite a few years ago. While in business they had several locations. One was in Ozark, MO, not real far from Branson. They made relatively small numbers of, sorta, semi-custom ml rifles. They had a small bore long rifle that was real popular. Can't remember what they called it. I visited them a few times but that was in the way-way distant past. No doubt, whatever style you have by them, it is a quality item. Enjoy.

Latest posts

Back