• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PA Flintlock Doe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rancher

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I got this doe on public land on 1/5/2011 just before 3:00pm. I decided to check out some new territory and on my way down the hill I cut some fresh tracks in the snow. I started following them, but the snow was too loud so I continued down the hill. On the way back up I caught movement to my right and 4 deer start making their way through the woods toward me. I wait for them to get close and the lead doe steps out a 48 yards broadside so I set the sights on her and touch a shot off. I watched her run quite a ways and I wasn't sure if I even hit her. I got up to where she was standing when I shot and found quite a bit of hair and a little blood. I called my buddy up and says to wait there and he'd be down to help. Bout a half hour goes by when he gets there and then started tracking her. The blood trail got heavier and heavier and we knew she was probably in trouble. My buddy points across the gas line and says there she is. She ran about 150 yards. Took out the top of the heart and both lungs. Can't believe she ran that far with that hit. It was my first with the flintlock and I was pretty pumped when I seen her laying there. I have to say a big thanks to my buddy for helping me track and making the drag a million times easier, I owe ya!

Lyman Great Plains Rifle
.54 flint
80 FFg Goex
.530 roundball in a pillow ticking patch with homemade lube

Back