• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PA late season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BMM, Even though on private land I'll be hunting in traditional PA orange. Just too many in the woods here even in the flintlock season.

I agree with you about wearing orange even on private land, atleast a hat and vest. I got the heck scared out of me last January when the brown form I saw bent over in thick woods turned out to be a hunter. My heart was racing while I tried to comfirm it was a deer.
The guy was a friend of the land owner with permission to hunt there.

Hunt safely, you don't want to fly in an EMS helicopter.
Saddly I've flown quite a few hunters. Mostly caused by tree stand falls and heart attacks but a quite few gun shot victums too.

Went out today with my son. Saw 8 deer, just none close enough for a shot. Did stumble across the bedding area for this herd.

3139041373_09fa29a7c1.jpg

3139043433_2ed00d029b.jpg

Best thing about the entire day...spending time in the mountains with my son. It's also late season archery...so he brought his bow.

3139868792_768d3332cf.jpg

My dad pushed 8 does past me at 40 yards. They didn't stop and offer a good shot. Great day just being out there enjoying it.

Bald Mtn Man said:
Anyone going to be huunting dressed in traditional clothing?[/quote
"
In the spirit of the season I wouldn't go any other way.

Keep at it. Those critters are still there.
Spent week 2 of regular season in 3A and there were plenty of deer seen with little pressure on them. Just had to get in the woods further and find where they congregate.
Wish I was out there now.

I'll be back out there tomorrow. I've still got two empty PA tags. I guess there is at least one benefit to being unemployed :shake: .....more hunting time.

I got out the last few hours Saturday. Game lands 72. Had 6 deer close and had a nice doe picked out. I got busted when they heard me pull my hammer back. We've only just begun....

spent all day Friday in the SF near Cowans Gap. Didn't see anything. Walking out I jumped 3 does but no shot. Trying again on Friday/Saturday in Pike Co. near Decker Pond.

You may already know this or not want any advice -but you can silence that click by squeezing the trigger before you pull the hammer back, then releasing the trigger before you release the hammer.
Parctice it that way a few times and they'll never hear that click again. :v

Yes, I know how to keep it from clicking. In the excitement of the moment I forgot. It was the first time this year that I had deer close enough to me. On a better note my son got his first flintlock deer yesterday at in the same area (gamelands 72). We went in the afternoon. Him and his buddy saw 9 deer but I didn't see any.
IMG_1445.jpg

Not far from you...below Kittanning near Slate Lick. Been hunting 2D, but they are few and far between. Been shot at, arrowed at, spotlighted, and kicked around a lot. Hard to get a shot! Haven't been in Sligo for quite a while but it isn't far from here. Good Luck!

Tom :grin:

I hunt the extreme SW part of the state, right along the WV line. Took a nice doe Saturday with the .50. Buck's going to be a little tougher with the 4 point on one side restriction, but, I know there are legal ones there. The grandson doesn't have to count points since he's a junior, and he got a good sized spike as soon as it got light Saturday. While he drug both deer out, I did my part by carrying both rifles and offering words of encouragement. I mostly wear traditional clothing, except for foot wear, but I always wear a liberty cap knitted with FO yarn. Best season of the year. You can hunt all day without ever seeing another hunter.

Lots of ice about in the woods of 3D. Forget walking quietly. Only got out twice so far and didn't see anything.

I plan on doing an afternoon/evening hunt tommorrow, and a morning hunt on Friday. Hopefully the wind will die down. BBBRRRR!!!!

MikeBurnsie said:
I plan on doing an afternoon/evening hunt tommorrow, and a morning hunt on Friday. Hopefully the wind will die down. BBBRRRR!!!!

Don't let a "little breeze" get in the way. :haha:
See my "Wind Chill" thread. High winds screw the deer up as well.
keep the wind in your face and you'll stand a good chance of jumping one.

Good to see some of you guys connecting. :thumbsup:

I'm going to be out there in the morning, but it's going to be hard to stay out for the day. It's down to 1 degree F right now & it's supposed to keep dropping. They're calling for -10 F before morning & the wind is at 15-25 mph with gusts over 40mph. I don't even want to think about what the wind chill factor makes it feel like!
It's definitely going to be a day for still hunting & drives, instead of sitting on stand.

This is the worst weather I can remember for flint season around here. Besides the wind, the woods floor is crunchy ice, making stalking, or even walking difficult (took a spill yesterday on snow covered ice) if not impossible. :(
Cut very few tracks too, telling me the deer are hole up somewhere.

Latest posts

Back