• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

packing eggs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnkanun

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Eggs seem to be hard for me to pack. Any good, safe way to pack eggs in an ice chest? I seem to recall that the Boy Scouts break eggs into a jar and just pour out as many as they need, anybody ever done this and how does it seem to work out?

Thanks, Mike

Gnkanun You have to use a long tall bottle like a olive jar. You break eggs and put one on top of other, then you just pour them out. Dilly

I use a cylindrical tin filled with coarse sawdust. The tin is maybe 9" tall & 6" wide. Holds ten large eggs. Trouble is, you can't easily see how many you have left.

I just leave them in the carton and pack in the top part of the ice chest...never had a problem yet...

I have heard of putting them in zip lock bags as well.. but they would be scrambled by the time you used them.... I have also heard of putting that bag in boiling water, and cooking them that way... never tried it but it might be cleaning an egg pan :winking:

This last time out I cut egg carton in half and put in a zip lock bag(quart size) and seemed to be easier to pack than whole carton. I was always suspicious of the boy scout method, if it was really good more people would be using it.

Thanks again, Mike

I used to pack them in my billy-can with popped popcorn. Put popcorn all the way around them and they will ride just fine. I have packed them over 20 miles, and not a crack. Stand them on end. The can or pan protects them from being crushed from the sides. You cant break one endways, the shell is much stronger that way. You can eat the popcorn when you get there too.

Packed eggs many a mile on mules. Just left them in the carton and packed the box with the eggs on the top. That's the paper egg carton, the new plastic cartons out of styrafoam don't seem to work all that well. Put cans next to glass jars, which now days there isn't many of those, but glass next to glass will break, can next to glass rides OK. For most of the groceries we packed as side load in wooden boxes, bread and eggs in the the top. Unless you get in a terrible wreck the eggs make it to camp just fine.

If anybody carries flour or corn meal, I have carried my eggs in the bag so you can use each and lessen the weight as you use it. Pretty much the same as the sawdust method mentioned above.

When I was a boy Scout years ago they told me that eggs could stay good in the shell for a week or more with no refrigeration. We folowed that rule and no one died. Now they say that is dangerous.

IIRC Thor Hyerdahl kept fresh eggs on the RA II voyage in lime and straw. This was the way they were kept during the egyptian period and they lasted several weeks if not months!

Haven't tried it, myself. :shocked2:

Jim aka kiltiemon

I have and use one of the old time tin lunch pails. It measures 4"h x 6"dia. I've seen them at antique places all the time. I then use saw dust as a medium. I believe it has held between 8-10 eggs. Dropped it out of the truck once while unloading and only cracked two eggs. If you put saw dust in the fridge pior it will keep the eggs cool for some time if it's not too hot outside.
Works for me!!

Just thought I would add this for what its worth.
My great grandmother use to place eggs in a small coffee sack bag. She would wrap them in newspapers and walk them to the store she traded them at for other goods. It wasnt a whole lot of eggs like 4-6

Don't camp out anymore, but when I did eggs were
the last purchase made before getting to camp.
Eggs don't have to be kept cold, cold to survive
2 or 3 days just not warm or even tepid.
I always made it a point to buy them and milk
at the last possible place before getting to the
camp site. I'm not talking P/C but I am talking
safe. Come to think of it just how P/C eggs are
concidered at such events without being pickled
or canned by some form. Just a thought.
snake-eyes :hmm:

The best way I've found to carry eggs and not take up a whole lot of space (and it isn't perfect by any means) is to put 1/2 carton in a zip lock bag with air blown in just before closing. It's terribly un-period correct, but it seems the best way for me. In between season weather (not too hot, not too cold) the eggs will do fine without refrigeration.

As far as bringing the hen along to lay eggs, it's been my experience that when you move hens, it takes them a while to start laying again (probably just about 4 or 5 days - enough to miss the whole rendezvous) Hee hee. :rotf:

Soaring Spirit
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent

At a recent event, one unit just tied the chickens' legs together at the ankles and each soldier carried at least one over his pack. If a chicken did not lay by late in the morning, it was in the soup for lunch or roasted for dinner that night.

They paroled the best chicken of the weekend to one of the women in our unit who kept it as a laying hen.

More than one way to do things.

CS

Sodium Silicate, AKA Water Glass, will keep eggs edible in the shell without refrigeration for months.
[url] http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=using+water+glass+to+preserve+eggs&btnG=Search[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent a number of years on a Nuclear submarine. We would buy eggs in bulk. We would store them in a cool place 'the engine room'. They would last 6 months or more.
Twords the end of our deployment, the cook would first break the egg into a bowl. If the egg was green, we of course tried another one. We didn't have very many go bad.
The funny part is, everyone makes a fuss over bad eggs. In the Phillipines it's very common to eat Baloot. It's a chicken egg that's about read to hatch. The Phillipinoe's bury the egg in hot sand until it's rotten and then eat it. I've eaten a bunch of them and never gotten sick. I prefer them with a little ocean salt sprinkled on top and a cold beer.

By the way, camping I simply use the original cardboard container. One can make the cardboard harder to break by removing the eggs and pouring hot wax on the cardboard, water doesn't soak in either. The cardboard container then makes a good fire starter on wet days.

Regards
Wounded Knee
"The Saxon Barbarian"

Ohhhhhh. Hot wax on cardboard to strengthen the container and have a secondary use -- and a great way to use the small bits of candle left. What a great idea! I can hardly wait to try it. It will eliminate the fire starter paste that I have been using (before anyone gets up in the morning) in a pinch! Thanks. :bow:

Soaring Spirit
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.

Latest posts

Back