• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Packing out a critter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supercracker said:
oletymepreacher said:
build travois to carry meat.

What is that. Pics??

Travois_Sketch.gif

Ancient One said:
I learned a long time ago to lure them critters REAL close to the truck, and then shoot them.
In the area we hunted elk when I was growing up, it never failed. Didn't matter where we went, at least once each trip you could look back at camp and see at least 10 elk within 50 yards of the tent. :doh:

Isn't that the truth!

I spent the best part of a month searching for the source of some really large deer tracks. I covered miles every day in rough, nasty terrain. I was having lots of fun tracking even if I wasn't getting a sighting, much less a shot.

I finally got to see the buck, watch it for about 30 seconds even, but couldn't shoot. I came staggering out of the brush at the end of a particularly long day and found the buck standing and staring at me about 50 yards away. About 3' in front of the nose of my truck!!!

Let's seeeeeeeee here.... Windshield, radiator, windshield, radiator. I'd about decided to go for the neck shot cuzz I could drive out with a blown windshield, when he took one hop and was out of sight in the brush. Never got another look at him through the rest of the season. :surrender:

We have used a non-PC variation on the theme of dragging the animal or large quarters out that a buddy of mine had heard about. It's sort of like a roll-up toboggan, and has worked in moderate hills the few times I've used it. Take one of those 6' "magic carpet" sleds, then punch holes and set tarp grommets across the front and down the sides. Use something like shot-line or parachute cord to lash the deer on. I lashed the head and forelegs together, secured to the front of the sled and to the drag line(s), and it worked just like you described, with the bonuses that the poly-????-ene gave very low friction with the ground and protected the hide.

I wonder if a PC version could be made with waxed canvass or leather?

If I got something BIG and/or farther back, I'd favor boning it out as much as we can with our evidence-of-species-and-sex-attached regulations, and drag if I could, pack if I had to. I haven't had the occasion to do this since I read about the field-boning and/or "gutless" techniques.

Regards,
Joel

Where we hunt in southern New England the vehicle isn't too far from the kill site. The method my dad and I use is to take a heavy duty PVC snow sled and load the deer on that. We then pull it out whether it is dry or snow covered. Works very well. It isn't historically correct but it works well.

Back