• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pan Brooms?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halftail

58 Cal.
Reaction score
For lack of a better word you know the little Broom that sweeps the prime out of the pan.I'm thinking on making one anyone got any ideas? Or pictures?

I made mine out of my stallion's tail and piece of wood. A piece of deer antler is better yet. You could also use some mane hair. They never miss it. Dilly

I have made them all with horse hair and have used,horn tips, antler tips, and bone. Actually, I like the appearance of bone best. It polishes such a glossy pretty white.

:grin: Mine is a typewriter broom used to clean off the type, strictly non PC (so there too). You remember typewwriters, don't you. :thumbsup:

Personally I prefer to make the wisk brush out of turkey beard - it's stiff enough to do the job and holds up well over the years.
Mostly I attach the beard to an antler tip that I've hollowed out the end (about 1/2") - use wax, glue or pitch to hold in place. Have about 3/4" of the beard sticking out of the handle.
Sorry no pictures - haven't mastered that yet.

I make mine by wrapping horsehair with a little sticky tape...very tightly, and then I insert the taped end into a piece of antler..and glue it there...I've made a bunch of these, and have to admit that I don't recall ever using one...I mostly wipe the pan with a dry patch if it is needed...Hank

I used some hairs from an old paint brush and a piece of 3/8" copper tube to make mine. Fold, insert and crimp the brush part in one end of the tube then crimp the other end at 90 deg. to the first crimp and drill a small hole into it to put a ring so you can put it on a leather thong to hang from your strap on your bag. Real easy to make and it does the job and also looks pretty PC. :thumbsup:

another good source is an old floor sweep broom most good ones are made from pig bristle ,with a pair of pliers you can pull out one hank which is just right for a pan brush mount it into an old brass .38spec case crimp the m :thumbsup: mouth and add a string and you got a brush. :thumbsup:

Agreed,,,if ya gonna use one,,use pig bristle. I just use a cloth tied to a sting that hangs from my trigger guard. It also wipes mositure out of the pan, which a brush wont do.

Mine was made from an antler tip, hollowed out. Then he put some bristles from a commercial paint brush, glued into the tip with epoxy. When it dried he but the bristles off even,and about 1 /2 inch long, polished the tip, drilled a hole through it to attach a chain, and it was done. The only time it is used is on the range if the firing line is closed when I have the pan loaded, and I decide not to fire the shot. Then i use it to whisk the priming powder out of the pan. Its about the most unused item I have in my kit, right behind that patch puller jag. I know as soon as I leave that jag at home, I will need it, so I carry it to appease the Gods!

I use a discarded grouse or bluejay feather, one ends serves as a broom, the other ends works as a pick...

Be careful with that Bluejay feather. The DNR arrested a friend of mine with a bluejay feather in her hat. Cost her a couple of hundred dollars in fines if I remember correctly. You only want to have feathers on you that are legal game birds. I don't know about starlings and such immigrant junk birds. To be safe, don't carry any feathers.

Many Klatch

At one time, I kept a cardinal feather in my lock to show it was loaded while in our hunting camp - to my surprise, a DNR officer was in the group (I didn't know he was an officer at the time)... he later told me that it would be a wise idea to discard the cardinal feather as they are illegal - protected song birds. He could see my shock when told. We still do scouts and hunts when we can - I now keep my pick in, NO MORE feathers for me.

So, what, don't birds lose feathers from time to time and don't people find those feathers. Who's to say you just didn't find a stray feather that a bird shead. Geeze. :confused:

I fear that the feather issue is a continuing one, to our great regret, the Powers That Be recognize no such thing as "common sense". A lady who made Dream Catchers using feathers found in her own backyard gave one to Hillary Clinton as a gift during Bill's reign; a token of respect to the Wife of the Man in Office. Hillary turned her in to feds due to the presence of Robin (songbird) feathers. Even tho it was quite clear the woman never killed a critter in her life, and was clearly using "found & scrounged" feathers - (the wear and tear is unmistakeable) she was prosecuted. be forewarned.
shunka

Frank
You obviously haven't run into a rambunctious Wildlife Officer. LOL
I was with a friend who did, many years ago. We were deer hunting and the day before I had killed a nice doe and taken her in for processing. I went back with a couple of friends to help with drives or dragging out any deer they might kill. My friend got back to the truck for lunch before the rest of us did. He dropped the tailgate and opened a cooler to get food and a drink. Along comes a Game Protector and asked to see his license and permit. The officer then noticed some blood and hair from the deer I killed the day before. All hell broke loose, he was reading my friend the riot act and was threatening to write a citation for possession of "parts of a deer without the proper tag" as I walked up. Fortunately I still had the reciept from the processer in my coat pocket which had my tag number. The officer ran my tag and found I had legally tagged a deer the day before. He let him go but, let him know he could have written a fine, confiscated his gun, and impounded the truck. I called another friend who happens to be a police officer and a friend of the head of the Division of Wildlife. He gave the Division head the officers name. When he got back to us he said the officer was normally assigned to Lake Erie and usually just wrote tickets for fishing violations and litter. He admitted that the officer was probably over zealous but... It could have been left up to a judge to decide and we all know how that usually goes.

Regards, Dave

IF THESE GUYS DIDNT DO THERE JOB ,SURE WOULD MAKE IT EZ TO BE A POACHER.my son is a conservation officer and was shot 3 times over a squerill limit , hes 26 now and will never be able to do any thing again because someone took offense over a ticket :cursing:

TN.Frank said:
So, what, don't birds lose feathers from time to time and don't people find those feathers. Who's to say you just didn't find a stray feather that a bird shead. Geeze. :confused:

Heck, I can buy bluejay and other exotic feathers from my local fly fishing shop, they sell them for fly tying...

Even my daughter had one in her class to use as a visual aid for a report about the bluejay, nothing was ever said about it...

Now eagles and official state birds, that's another story...

But for the sake of our members, nix the jay's...

Please go to

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/intrnltr/treatlaw.html

and read it. You will be surprised.

Back