• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pan powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blowinsmoke

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've used 7f goex in my pan since i started shooting a FL but now it seems harder to get. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using 7f and using something like 3f or 4f?

I personally prefer using 3F to prime since that's what I use in my rifle. Only have to carry one horn that way.

7Fg powder is Flash powder. It certainly lights and burns faster, but it also can be blown out of the pan with any light breeze when 4Fg and 3Fg will stay put.

When we talk about " burning faster", we are talking milliseconds, and the human ear is rarely able to hear an actual difference.

Since 4Fg powder is often difficult to find on the shelves, and a pound lasts so long, many shooters have simply begun using 3Fg powder for both their main charges in their rifles, and as the priming powder in their flash pans.

The benefit of using 3Fg for both purposes is that you only have to buy ONE powder Granulation size. You also only need to carry One powder horn( with 3Fg powder in it), when in the field. The difference between the burning speed of 3Fg and 4Fg is again too small for most human ears to hear the difference.

I don't see any reason not to use 7Fg powder for priming the pan, IF YOU CAN STILL BUY IT. Most of us Buy a can( one pound) of 4Fg and either share it with friends, or use it over the course of a year or more of shooting. ( 7000 grains to the pound. most priming loads will use 3-5 grains of powder per shot). I prime with 4Fg on the range, but like to use 3Fg when hunting. 3Fg powder seems to be less affected by moisture in the air than does the finer, 4Fg powder. I would not want to use 7Fg powder in damp conditions at all, but that is a personal choice. :surrender: :thumbsup:

blowinsmoke said:
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using 7f and using something like 3f or 4f?

The finer the granulation the faster the ignition and rate of burn. Also, the finer the granulation, the easier it is to be affected by humidity, requiring that it be dumped & refreshed more often.

The black powder industry identified 4F as priming powder I assume based upon the optimum balance of ignition speed and tolerance for humidity. Its all I use for priming powder both at the range and hunting, rainy conditions included, and it's always been outstanding for me.

I prime from a little shirt pocket primer so having a different granulation from my main charge is never an inconvenience, and they throw a consistent amount of prime every time.

PrimerHornandAntler.jpg

My last club purchase from powder inc. they would not sell us 7f because it is a fireworks grade powder and something about having to have a mfg. license etc..4f makes a very adequate priming powder and as others note 3f often functions just as well. My rifle has a pretty small lock and does not set off the 3f anywhere as fast as 4f so I use the 4f. Apparently 7f can still be had at some of the big shoots directly from the Goex distributers.

I bought a can of 4f in 2003 and I still have a bunch left. Maybe I don't shoot enough??
I'm lucky that I can nearly walk from my house to where I buy my Goex powder. I'm going to buy a can of 3f and see how it works for both charge and priming. I have been hearing about that for years but never tried it.

Great thread I was just going to ask this same question, right now I'm shopping for my first flintlock.

I prime with the powder right from the horn. FF. Works quite fine. :wink:

Pros one horn, less to carry, works as well as 4f without a device to time ignition.

cons........cannot think of any I have experienced

When I built my first flinter, I purchased 4 pouds of FFFFg, if it weren't for that, I would be using FFFg, as I have tried it in the pan and works just fine. But I kind of like my flint charger for monitored charges in the pan and it does not throw FFFg as well. Usually, you want the pan to be about 1/3 full. I can not regulate such a charge by throwing it from the main powder horn, but that's me.

Well have to say I all ways used 4f to prime.Will use 3ff in a pinch. Just made two little goat horn primers. Got some more to make. Dilly

It depends upon the gun. I have a Blunderbuss that NEEDS 4F to fire fast. All my other 10 Flintlocks and Wheel locks, Match locks, I use 3F.
I have a couple of Priming horns and use each grain. The big one, 3F, the small one 4F.
I prefer using 3F for all.

flintlock62 said:
But I kind of like my flint charger for monitored charges in the pan and it does not throw FFFg as well.
FYI...there are two different size brass pan primers...the small one in this photo is a 3grn dispenser which works for 4F. The larger one in this photo has a larger diameter dispenser tip that'll feed 3F OK.

I use the larger one at the range with 4F because it holds almost 200grns which covers the 150grns 4F I use for a 50 shot session without having to refill it.

But its larger dispenser throws more than the 3grns I use and the simple solution was to take a thin cutoff wheel in a dremel tool and trim it shorter until it only threw 3 grns...I assume you could do the same thing if you wanted to use it for 3F...the Possible Shop at the top of the forum carries them.

RegularMagnumFlintlockPanPrimers.jpg

Thanks for the information, Cannon. However, I have the large primer and the problem is that when I use FFFg, it does not throw the powder out as consistantly as it does FFFFg. Besides, like I said, I have almost 4 pounds of FFFFg!

Stophel said:
I prime with the powder right from the horn. FF. Works quite fine. :wink:
I use 2F also simply because that is what is in my horn when hunting. And like Stophel said it works fine. So 3F is not necessary the only way to go if you want to carry just one powder type. I also suspect that I might have just a tad humidity advantage over the 3F guys. :blah:

Latest posts

Back