• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paneled Buffalo Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tshrcav8r

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I don't know if this should be posted here or in the photos section, but anyway here it is. I haven't made a horn in 30 yrs or so, so I figured it was about time to make one. I started with a buffalo horn that was a little longer than it is now, the dog got a hold of it twice, cow hoof, buffalo horn, it was all the same to him. The horn is 11 1/2" long on the outside and around 3" in diameter at the base. The tip is turned deer antler and the base is pine. The stopper is a piece of ebony. The panels run from the base to the first section of the antler tip and is stepped toward the tip. The pine base was stained using Homer's dark brown stain. I didn't want the base too dark, so it got some Permalyn sealer before the stain. The antler tip got the same stain and then wiped down with an alcohol soaked rage until I got a color I liked. The base then got a couple of coats of Tru-Coat. I could have taken a little more time on the horn finish, but this is going to be a carry horn for me. After filing to shape, I hit the horn with sandpaper up to 320 and then 0000 steel wool. I didn't really have a plan in mind, just filed and turned until it looked ok.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. No need to be kind. I have a couple of more buffalo horns and would like to make the next ones a little better with your help.

Thanks for your suggestions, Tim

BuffHornFull1.jpg

BuffHornFull2.jpg

BuffHornTip.jpg

Beautiful horn! How thick were the walls at the base of the horn? None of the bison horns I've got are thick enough at the base for a panel horn.The walls are are little more than 1/16". This might be because I've tried to make the horns as long as possible.I've never cut more than 1 - 1.5" off the base.How much did you cut off the base?

Best regards

Rolf

Nice, if your going to do another,,who say's the butt cap has to be round? follow the panels into the cap,,Rust brown pin's would be a nice touch :wink:

Man that really turned out nice! I don't think I ever seen a Buff horn that looked better. I really like the way you incorporated the antler to the tip! I have been thinking about a Buff horn for my .54. Now I have got some ideas! :thumbsup:

I'm not a big buffalo powder horn person, but I really like yours! That's a "Sundy go to Rendezvous" horn for the well dressed Mountainman for sure!

:hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Oh yeah, you did an excellent job right there. That's a sweet looking horn and the spout is amazing...Congrats. :thumbsup:

Really nice horn. Yup, that one would be worn with your mountain man "cortin and sparkin" outfit when he went looking for a bride. :thumbsup:

Rolf, I would guess that about an inch came off the base of the horn, some I cut off, the rest the dog chewed off. The horn itself was thick, maybe 3/16" in placed. At the base the panels aren't flat, but a slightly curved. I thinned the panels as much ad I dared and then filed the panel edges to meet.

Thanks for everyone's kind comments. It was fun to make and I am looking forward to making the next one.

Tim

Wow, that horn is a beaut!

I wouldn't think that the white antler and the black horn would look good together, but you make it work quite nicely!

just curious how it is that you attached the antler. i was just at a rondy and i picked up some horn pretty cheap to learn on and i am definitely planning to get the horn book.but i have some ideas where to start so any way, i like the antler and i would be curious as to how it is attached. thanks

Latest posts

Back