• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

paper cartridges for cap and ball revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naysmyth

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, I'm fairly new to the forum,I shoot an 1860 army and wish to try to make some paper cartridges for it. Thanks for any and all help.
David

I have loaded some paper cartridges for my Remmy and they realy speed up loading time. All you have to do is buy some cigerette papers and go to town. If your loading rd. ball, it's simple, put the ball about a 1/4 of the way onto the paper and wet just enough of the gum to stick to the ball and past it to the end of the paper. Twist the wet end keeping the ball inside. It's better to do several at a time so that once you are done with the last the first is dry. Wet the rest of the paper and add the powder, once done immediatly twist as much as possible without tearing the paper. I usally use a Sharpie and put a "B" for ball on the ball end so I wont load it backwards. I loaded some with conicals and wad but haven't tryed them yet. Hope this helps.

Try this:
[url] http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=144094[/url]

complete step by step with photo's

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to make the paper cartridges with doobie paper, but I got tired of it and having to buy the papers.

I then progressed to making my own paper. I got some thin paper and in some warm water I dissolved some black powder. I soaked the paper in it and then line dried it. Nice burning paper for the combustible cartridges and also worked for sharps carbine I had at the time.

Now I have a much faster and easier method. I bought a bag of 50 soft flexible reloading tubes from Dixie Gun Works. I just pull off the bullet, pour the blackpowder into the cylinder and press in the bullet. Preparing the cartridges at home is lightning quick.

(I will try to add a pic of my Lemat with its reloading stuff.)
lemat.jpg

The site above was a good resource. Here is one I used years ago:
[url] http://www.civilwarguns.com/9508.html[/url]

I found wood glue to stick quicker, sometimes the white glue required me to hold it for quite sometime to get it to set.

They suggested using a nipple pick to poke holes, I had to use a paper clip to do it as the nipple pick just wasn't strong enough to penetrate.

The other problem that would sometimes arise is the paper would remain in the cylinder after ignition. Contrary to what you think when you compress the ball down on the cartridge, the paper SOMETIMES stays in there even with good ignition!

If you forget to remove it can cause hang fires. I found a brass brush used for cleaning usually with a twist removed it easily.

I finally started tearing off the bottom and dumping the powder in... So I did not have to poke the cartridge.

When done right it shoots fine, but IMO the time it takes to make them + the problems just about equals the time/effort it takes to do a normal C&B load.

So for me it was a wash and I went back to doing it the old way.

Try this link for good information on paper cartridges.
[url] http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=326.0[/url]

If you make the paper cartridges so that they taper, they will be easier to load, and they will split when the ball is compressed. If you are using a hot enough cap, you can pretty well dispense with the nipple pick.

I also dip the ball end of my cartridges in melted bees wax. This puts some lube on the ball, and it helps seal the cartridge to the ball.

Transportation can be a problem as well. If you cut strips of kitchen foil and use them to wrap a cylinder's worth of cartridges, you end up with a very sturdy little packet that can be carried in a shirt pocket or dropped in a pouch.

Latest posts

Back