• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper Cartridges?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anybody pre-make paper cartridges? Measure the powder, add the ball, wrap it up? I seem to recall that from watching a Skirmishing event in the past and Civil War movies.
As a Skirmisher, I don't know of anybody using paper cartridges other than those shooting Sharps.

Does anybody pre-make paper cartridges? Measure the powder, add the ball, wrap it up? I seem to recall that from watching a Skirmishing event in the past and Civil War movies.
There has been a lot of discussion about paper cartridges here on this forum. Use the “Search” function in the right upper corner of your screen and you should find enough reading material to keep you going for a while.

I would like to point out that the ball usually goes in the paper cartridge first, then the powder. You then fold the paper closed, leaving a sort of tail. Bite off the tail, pour the powder in your muzzle, then load the ball.

@dave951 can tell you all you need to know about skirmishing. However, the short answer is that today’s skirmishers don’t use paper cartridges. They don’t use patches, either. They don’t want to be blowing smoldering paper or fabric debris downrange. Skirmishers typically use plastic or sometimes cardboard charge tubes. Powder goes in the tube, then you plug the open end with the bare, lubricated bullet. To load, you remove the bullet and hold it while you pour the powder down the muzzle, then load the bullet. The charge tubes are reusable.

Notchy Bob

I premake paper cartridges for my military rifle muskets and for my brown bess. I also make up paper shot charges for my blunderbuss. Lots of fun to make and to shoot.

I help with shooting days for scouts and they love tearing that paper cartridge with their teeth to load the musket. I give them a Minnie ball as a souvenir too

IMG_0243.jpeg
IMG_0240.jpeg
IMG_9650.jpeg

Last edited:
We use paper cartridges to load our King's Muskets. For a blank charge we roll a paper tube to fold over one end. We fill the tube with the proper amount of powder and fold over the end for a tail.

A paper cartridge with ball and powder is similar. The paper is rolled around a forming dowel to make a paper tube that is a slip fit in the bore. The forming dowel is pulled back to allow the ball to be placed in the tube. The end is folded over the ball and glued to seal the end. Thread is used to tie off the tube to separate the ball from the powder. Powder is measured and poured into the tube. The remaining paper is folded to close off the powder end. Loading is done by tearing off the paper tail close to the powder. Powder is poured in the barrel. The excess paper tube is used as the wadding as the ball is started in the muzzle, then rammed to the breech. Note: Historically, powder from the cartridge was used to prime the pan before putting powder in the barrel. For safety reasons, a priming charger is used.

There is a sticky thread on the Forum describing the rolling of a cartridge with pictures.

Back