• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PAPER PATCH BULLET

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf5347

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I seen a 54 cal. percussion sharps that shoots a 45-70 paperpatch bullet,can anyone explain how do you load and shoot this type of firearm? sound very interesting
confused.gif

Whoa! A .54 caliber bore shooting a .45 caliber bullet? That's a lot of paper around the slug. (Certainly more than a straight walled .45-70 case could support.) A cloth patch only takes up .01" in the gap between ball and groove dia. That would be .09". Paper patches are maybe 0.003" (that's a guess).

Never seen or heard of it being done. Someone's either pulling your leg or they had a .54 paper patched slug "like" the ones used in a .45-70.

I'm just guessing but I think Stumpkiller has a point when he says "Never seen or heard of it being done. Someone's either pulling your leg or they had a .54 paper patched slug "like" the ones used in a .45-70.
"
I shoot a paper patched .390 dia bullet patched up to .398 dia in my .40 Schuetzen muzzle loader. Note that the total paper thickness is only .004 which results from two layers of .002 thick paper.

It's shooting special paper patched 350 and 400 grain bullets which are smooth on the outside diameter (no grease grooves) and it is a real tack driver!

A paper cartridge is different from a paper patch. These rifles are designed to have the powder enclosed in a nitrated paper tube (like a thin coin roll), with the bullet sticking out of the front end, that is torn when the breech is closed to expose the powder.

I have no idea but seem to be getting better in understanding the principal ,powder is in a paper tube bullet sit on top.Please explain the next step in firing this gun?
Bullet @ powder in tube enter the breech,A cap is need to fire the gun.
How does the flash from the nipple hole fire the round?
confused.gif

If you're indeed talking about paper cartridges they are loaded same as copper and the later and current brass cartridges. On a Sharps open the breech, slide the cartridge into the chamber, raise the breech block which in turn slices off the back of the paper cartridge exposing the powder to the flash from the cap when the hammer is dropped. Musket caps are used.

It is wise to tip the rifle to one side or the other to dump the tail of the cartridge and the few grains of powder off the top of the breech block before capping and firing. The paper cartridge Sharps was considered an improvement over muzleloaders, and regarding rate of fire they were, but the breech seal still wasn't perfect.

Paper patch bullets are another matter. Musketmans two photos show the differences wonderfully.

Vic

This all brings to mind an old question of mine.

Why would someone buy a (yuck) inline in .54 cal. because they want a bigger bore rifle, then shoot the same .45 cal. pistol bullet with a thicker sabot?
I will thankfully admit almost total ignorance as far as inlines go, and I am probably overlooking something obvious, but I buy a .54 to shoot a "Bigger" projectile.

quote:Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
A paper cartridge is different from a paper patch. These rifles are designed to have the powder enclosed in a nitrated paper tube (like a thin coin roll.
58cartridge.jpg.JPG
Civil War .58 caliber paper cartridge - excellent condition - has marked .58 original cartridge in faint blue ink...

Latest posts

Back