• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

paper patched doe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armymedic.2

45 Cal.
Reaction score

Trying to get a friend a deer we decided to do a little push through a bedding area. I stalked through with the fowler i finished last year while he sat overwatch from a hilltop (with a a new fangled bang whiz)

About 70 short paces into my stalk through i saw three deer feeding in a brushhogged patch through the bedding area. The were about ninetly yards distant, and i closed it to 75 without getting busted. I was out of cover so i waited for them to feed a little closer, with two more joining the group. When the largest doe gave me a quartering to shot i pressed the trigger and followed through. The sound of the roundball striking her was distinct and loud, like a ruler slapping a desk. She immediately bucked like a bronco, and then took off into the woods they had come from. She ran about 30 yards before falling on a dead run.

The load was 70 grains 2 f with my 62 cal ball. Premade paper cartridge made out of news paper, tied with twine and sealed by dipping the ball end in beeswax and tallow. no extra wads or patches, the paper end holding the powder goes down first and is the wad.

The shot went in just in front of the shoulder, and came out about three inches behind the opposite shoulder. the top of the heart was torn, and the lungs were badly damaged. Very pleased with my stalk and the performance of the paper cartridge. and of course, old red did her job very nicely as well. The modern gun missed.

Thats a great shot!
Nice looking boom stick Too!
Congrats..Oh What a Feeling! :thumbsup:

Yes, this definitely answered a smooth bore question I had! :grin:

Congrats on a very successful and what sounds like an exciting hunt! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back