• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Ban

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpkiller

That Other Moderator
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone else catch this on their web browser this morning?

CMM: ATLANTA

The National Park Service announced today that the use of cloth patching for muzzleloaders will no longer be allowed on Federally controlled lands effective October 31st, 2005. Interior Secretary Terrance Holmes, speaking from Cheyenne Mountain, claimed several reasons for the decision: "We are concerned about the fire danger from smoldering patches. There is also the bacteria concern for browsing animals that may ingest the patching. Some hunters use their own spit, and that's just too icky." The NRA would not return calls, but the receptionist there stated: "No one uses cloth patching in muzzleloaders anymore, anyway. That would require an inefficient lead bullet." When asked if the Parks Service recommended a substitute for cloth patching, Mr. Holmes replied: "They are all unsafe to some degree. Plastic patches are non-biodegradable litter and a choking hazard to smaller animals. We'd much rather they just took pictures."

I just want to know what "CMM" is. CNN (Clinton News Network) is in Atlanta......never heard of CMM.

Nice try Stumpy....what a hoot!

Vic

Once again -- just as in its support for a renewed assault weapons ban, a total gun-show ban and the criminalization of even minor mental disorders (not to mention ongoing obstruction of the congressionally mandated Armed Pilots Program) -- the Bush Administration shows its true anti-gun colors. (And the Democrats are even worse.)

In any case, the clandestine purpose here is probably a first step toward a total ban on traditional muzzle-loaders, the prerequisite to a total ban on black powder.

Oh....rarely is hunting even allowed in National Parks. The Teton bison hunt is the only one I'm aware of but there may be others.

Vic

I believe Stumpy is up to his April Fools Jokes .
None the less it said federal controled land NOT National parks.
That would include ALL BLM , National Forests , Nat'l Parks, ect. :imo:

Woody

Bah. You guys are a tough crowd.

I even got up pretty early to enter that one.

::

But I still managed "Ann Y. Mous" (anonymous) as a female member on the other thread here, and I even put a smiley on it.

Thanks for the Fools Stump! :crackup:

I was rolling up my sleeves for investigation on this and then realized the date.

On a sad note, I would not be the least suprised to hear of actual moron legislation along these lines. For god's sakes don't let Boxer or Feinstien catch wind of this. I'm worried about my beloved Grandholm hearing of this. ::

Will likely start in the Peoples Republic of California.
(No offense meant here, I lived in SoCal for 14 years).

::

That was pretty good stumpy. You obviously researched your topic :haha: comprehensively to make your quoted comments seem totally in character for federal employees.

"Some hunters use their own spit, and that's just too icky."

Is that gov't lingo?

Hank in WV

"Some hunters use their own spit, and that's just too icky."

Is that gov't lingo?

Hank in WV

No but just imagine what Stumpy's moose snot would make them say. :crackup:

except that the Natl. Park Service doesn't have jurisdiction over BLM or Natl. Forest lands....don't believe they can issue an edict for them.

Vic

No patches, well, paper patch like the target shooters or minie ball. 350 yards? No problem reaching out there.

Seeing or hitting of course is another story. Is radar permitted?

Stumpy has either been sniffing way toooo much BP smoke or he has way tooooo much time on his hands!!! He'd be better off spending his time on another gun project or maybe consider another hobby!!!! :crackup:

Back