• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch knife carry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So where do you all carry your patch knife? I haven't found a good way to carry mine on my bag strap yet. I tried just running the shoulder strap through the belt loop on the sheath but the sheath didn't have enough tension to hold the knife well. So it goes in the bag with everything else for now. I prefer not to belt carry.

I riveted a sheath to the flap on my possibles bag handy and secure.
horn & bag.jpg

I have two options I use. The first is a neck knife. However, my most used is a knife in a sheath sewn onto the strap of my possible bag. This sheath was specifically designed for the strap and holds the knife firmly. It has been in use for over 40 years.

I’m curious as I bought a length of pillow ticking but I’ve been of the mind to precut mine at home. Why cut them at the muzzle?

Agreed, its more practical to precut lubed patches, but rather than fumble for them in a bag I pierce around 10 of them with my Vent pick and hang them that way like a mutli-layered sandwich. I keep a back-up pack of them in a small tin in my shooting bag, where I can draw on them to resupply the pierced ones on the vent pick if needed.

Agreed, its more practical to precut lubed patches, but rather than fumble for them in a bag I pierce around 10 of them with my Vent pick and hang them that way like a mutli-layered sandwich. I keep a back-up pack of them in a small tin in my shooting bag, where I can draw on them to resupply the pierced ones on the vent pick if needed.
I do basically the same but thread them on a doubled piece of loose linen thread tied on both ends, keep a bunch of them at the ready. tie them off to my shooting strap with a piece of leather thong, cut off the lower knot and pull them off the thread as needed,

I have mine on the bag strap. I used the holes I have for the strap length adjustment so I can take it off If I would need to and not have any unneeded holes in the strap. I also use precut patches, but don't have to dig through my bag when the need to cut something pops up!

Attachments

• DSC00322.JPG
    DSC00322.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have two options I use. The first is a neck knife. However, my most used is a knife in a sheath sewn onto the strap of my possible bag. This sheath was specifically designed for the strap and holds the knife firmly. It has been in use for over 40 years.
Would you mind posting pics of your bag attachment?

I have mine on the bag strap. I used the holes I have for the strap length adjustment so I can take it off If I would need to and not have any unneeded holes in the strap. I also use precut patches, but don't have to dig through my bag when the need to cut something pops up!
That's what I'm looking for. A way to attach to my bag strap. Thanks.

So where do you all carry your patch knife? I haven't found a good way to carry mine on my bag strap yet. I tried just running the shoulder strap through the belt loop on the sheath but the sheath didn't have enough tension to hold the knife well. So it goes in the bag with everything else for now. I prefer not to belt carry.
Around my neck, very handy, out of the way, hey, let’s call it a neck knife….

I've built lots of bags. I usually have a different bag every hunting season. I used to build a patch knife sheath into all my bags but I don't anymore. My belt knives can slide onto the strap if I want it there. The sheaths cover all but a bit of the handle and are made tight so nothing falls out.

A couple years ago I hunted with @Century to late and he gifted me a neck knife. I'd never used one before but it was super handy and effective.

Latest posts

Back