• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Knives.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sniper68,
Just wondering are those Wal-Mart knives S/S
or carbon????? It is very hard to find carbon knives
anymore and i will not have a S/S in camp, on my person,
or even in my kitchen..... just wondering????? :hmm: :hmm:
snake-eyes :thumbsup:

If you can find them, the "Old Hickory" knives are carbon steel. They take a great edge, but they rust real easily, so you have to keep them well oiled. I haven't seen them at a Walmart for a long time, but others on the forum have had some success finding them there. All the other knives I've seen at Walmart were stainless steel.

Birddog6,
Sir, as a 60 year grandfather let me tell
you something..... keep your children as close to you as
possible and your grandchildren closer than that!!!! They
are our epitaph(why we are here) :hmm: :hmm:
snake-eyes :hmm: :thumbsup: :) :peace:
I know :eek:ff:
:sorry:

Here is a link to Knives Plus in Amarillo, Texas.

http://www.knivesplus.com/OLD-HICKORY-KNIVES.HTML

They have the Old Hickory 3 and 3 1/4 in parers on sale at $2.97.

Sniper68: Nice job on the two in the picture. I haven't hafted one of my own yet. Motivates me to try.

I have found that the Old Hickory parers do quite well as patch knives, if sharpened on one side only.

Jim

My latest and greatest.
BillyWatsonknife.jpg

One of my old ones...an old kitchen knife that worked real slick.
oldknife.jpg

Another that's got alot of use.
knife.jpg

My all time favorite was an ancient steak knife that I'd cut down the blade similar to a drop point. Had walnut handles with lead wire inlay and buttcap. Lost it in a housefire about 4yrs. ago. Made me sick.

I would like to hear what you folks do when it comes to patchin, and your patch knife.

Russ

I don't use 'em. They're just another piece of truck and plunder that gets in my way, gets lost, or gets traded off. I use my sash knife. :results:

For patching, I manage to purchase a little more linen than I need for a shirt, and save the remnants after the shirt is finished for patching. And yes, I do go into the fabric store from time to time with a micrometer in my hand and shop for linen that way. ::

Cruzatte

I would like to hear what you folks do when it comes to patchin, and your patch knife.

Russ

I don't use 'em. They're just another piece of truck and plunder that gets in my way, gets lost, or gets traded off. I use my sash knife. :results:

For patching, I manage to purchase a little more linen than I need for a shirt, and save the remnants after the shirt is finished for patching. And yes, I do go into the fabric store from time to time with a micrometer in my hand and shop for linen that way. ::

Cruzatte

Seems a lot folks use their "sash knife".

It also seems that everytime you see a fellow in a fabric store with a micrometer...he is just another brother, get to know him.

I have been told, by several supposedly "knowledgeable" people, that there is a "code" on every bolt of cloth that will give you the compressed thickness of that particular run.

Does anyone know anything about this? Or, is this just another of those "old tales", that won't die. I have asked at a couple of stores, and all I get is a good stare.
If anyone knows anything about this I appreciate hearing about it.

Russ

quig - Those are really nice knives. I see a name on the sheath, but can't make it out. What is it? Web site?

Regards, sse

It's a Billy Watson knife SSE. Watson is what you're seeing on the sheath. The bottom knife is also a Watson knife. His site is www.watsonknives.com if you'll click on picture #213 you'll see that knife. It is the bottom one...Carbon steel Hunter. But I had him modify mine...3 1/2" blade instead of 5" and told him I wanted a neck sheath. Also in that same #213 pic is my latest order...the French Long Knife with silver wire inlay. Can't wait to get that one. Been eyeballing it for a couple three years now.

Thanks quig. Pretty nice looking stuff, there. The guy is good.

Regards, sse

You're right SSE...he is good. He's also affordable for the average working man. Did any of them in particular catch your eye?

Yes. A number of them, for under a hundred clams no less, look very good. If you know, how is the quality of the steel? Does it hold up good with use?

Does he do the sheaths, too? The one in your pic looks very well done.

Regards, sse

RussB,
I am currently making some knive from blade that I baught from www.customcutlery.com they make some great blades that hold edges like I've never seen. If you order ask for the smalles blade (the smaller of the 2 perring). Made a butcher knife from their stake knife, had to grind down the handle to make a tang, but it worked great. Baught one earlier and have used it to butcher deer (skinning and all the proccessing). It didnt need a touch up untill about the 20 deer. I recomend them to anyone.
~Nenajungas

Thanks, Nenajungas. :thanks:

I don't know what happened to the pictures in my initial post. Seems to be only a little "X" there now.

Anyway, I have been working on a "skinner" made from the spring of a Datsun pickup. It is ugly as death eating life savers, but hopefully someone will see that as "character", and not as the poor workmanship it is.

Russ

Back