• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Knives.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr. Kenton; It was actualy a couple of years ago I bought these. Walmart used to take seasonal items, as least in the sporting goods dept.,that were out of season or non-selling items and mark them for pennys on the dollar. The knives were in the housewares dept. They have quit this pratice, as the said they were competing aginst themselves. :boohoo: :bull: Now thier closeouts ain't worth talking about. Look on the internet Old Hickory knives or Onterio Knife Co.. There still around and only retail for somewere between $5 and $10 dallars. Good steele, strong & lite. Knives are mabe to cut, if you want to chop use an axe :imo: :thumbsup:

s.k.
you can find those knives at any wal-mart,or grocery store
in texas h.e.b is the largest grocery chaim but i have seen them at albertsons and target.
right now i use a couple of old razors for a patch knifeand they work real well.
i,ve been thinking of cutting down an old filleting knife and useing it,but buying an old hickory knife and customizing the handles is a great idea,just wish i thought of it first :shake: :rolleyes: ::

Check the Goodwill or Salvation Army stores.I picked up a nice Old Hickory double edged sticker for a couple of bucks.Those "junk" shops can be a good place to look too,antique shops tend to be pricy but you may get lucky.

:results: I've had very good luck getting Old Hickory & Onterio knives at garage sales & auctions. Check out the box where they emptied the kitchen drawer. The old knives commonly got shoved into the back of the drawer as the Ginzu & electric knives came on the scene.
Bill :thumbsup:

I want to be PC so I'm going to run by WALMART Or TARGET or ALBERTSONS and get me some BP supplys right after work!
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

I figure to be PC ya have to have an original Muzzleloader
anyways and in this day and age to be PC is impossiable.

The only thing in my gun that is from the era is probably the wood... the tree from which the stock is made may be that old not sure.And the flint i am sure is old enough.

As for patch knife i use a Case XX. or an Uncle Henry what ever one I have in my pocket works for me.

Woody

Woody,.... I'm sure the "lead" yore shoot'n, is old enuff to be considered authentic too!! :haha: :haha: :thumbsup:

YMHS
rollingb

rollingb
Lead??? :huh:

You guys gave me an idea (from a different forum)of saveing
my Dubble Bubble Bazzoka Joe gum.. I now roll it then mic it to size ! be carefull when ya pull a filling and it ends up in yer gum though :curse:

Of course ya know this is all :bull: :blah:

Woody :youcrazy:

rollingb
Lead??? :huh:

You guys gave me an idea (from a different forum)of saveing
my Dubble Bubble Bazzoka Joe gum.. I now roll it then mic it to size ! be carefull when ya pull a filling and it ends up in yer gum though :curse:

Of course ya know this is all :bull: :blah:

Woody :youcrazy:

Pullin' a fillin' implys you have real teeth. :crackup:

I think you will find out that a durable edge holding patch knife will require the best in steel to keep a razor edge, thus why a straight razor does well as such... Cutting heavy cloth all the time with a clean swipe requires a better edge holding capacity that most steels are capable of, I find that D2 steel blade will hold up quite well for this. Having made allot of patch knives of various steels & handles, this is what I have found to be the best steel for me to make them of, the down side of it having to be professionally hardened. 1095 steel works OK and must be left really hard as if you temper it back too much it will not keep the edge.

And old straight razor works extremely well, but is easily ruined if you grind on it, as you will ruin the temper... The Brusletto Norwegian steel blades (the Runt) makes a nice lil patch knife blade if you want to buy a cheap blade & just put a handle on it. (www.texasknives.com)

The think Damascus steels in general work well for patch knives & look nice, as the Damascus steel I use has 1095 steel in it also & if left hard makes a very durable patchknife & can be hardened at home. (attached photo Damascus patch knife with a Elk tine handle)

Just remember if it is easy to sharpen it is easy to dull...... Hard durable steel in a knife is hard to sharpen, but once you get it sharp it is easy to maintain sharp once you learn how to sustain that edge. :thumbsup:

Dsc08080.jpg

Beautiful photo Birddog6! The sideplate screws even line up, very nice. Did you make the shooting bag as well?

Thank you. Yes, I made the bag also. I made me a bag, both my sons each a bag & with matching belt knives sheaths & hawk sheaths matching as well. I had a hard time finding the distressed leather in any thickness to do what I wanted, but finally found a hide of it. It is thick but soft, kinda like a worn flight jacket. You can take your thumbnail & scratch it & rub your hand over it & the scratch blends & goes away.... Looks well used all the time, which is what I wanted.

Thank you. Originally the guy wanted a carved rifle, but when it came time to build it he opted with a plain iron mounted hunting rifle in .36 cal. Also being a small bore his 12 yr old son can shoot it, with a rest on the end, that is... It has a Large Siler lock & a Colerain 42" barrel on it. That is the first plain rifle I have built in several years, other than molding on the forestock & buttstock, so it was a nice change. Now he is talking about me building a matching one in .54 caliber for deer/elk hunting.

The patchknife is 512 layers of steel hammer forged by a local guy. I have bought allot of his steel & it holds up nicely. The horn came from a friend I hunt with. He has a farm in IA & KS and I asked him to bring me some elk horns if he ran across any.... He said he had a bunch of them at one of the farms, and he came home with over a dozen of them & they were huge horns with bases as large as my wrist ! So I sliced & diced & used what I could of them.... Elk is hard to use for knife handles as it is hollow inside so you use the tines or slabs of it. Boy I hated to cut them horns up, they were truely magnificent ! :thumbsup:

I used the base of an elk horn for the shifting lever knob on my 37 Chevy pickup truck. I get alot of compliments on it too. Old guns and trucks ya got a luv em :winking:

Woody

i use those Old Hickory knives too. I found mine hanging on a side display near the other utensils. I usually pick all the butchers at junk stores and garage sales for around five bucks. I recently gave two as a gift. I had some deer antler laying that i used as a handle, anyway long story short my drill press worked for one blade the other blade broke 4 drill bits. I ended up going to the C-130 metal to use their bits and they broke 3 bits before they got through!! I had the whole shop from an E-2 all the way through SMSGT trying to drill through that blade!!

If you want a good patch knife, then I would suggest you grab an old hand saw blade at a garage or yard sale, or visit your local flea market. Then, using a cold chisel or a dremel tool, rough cut a blank. Me, I have a collection of good files and fair variety of sharpening stones. I've been digging up sharpening stones in the yard from time to time. Seems the former owner of the house, that I live in, at one time brought a truck load of these stones home, as evidenced by the basement fireplace, which is faced entirely with sharpening stones that were made in the next town over. Next stick the rough blank in a vise and shape out the style of blade wanted. Sharpening the blade is the last thing to do. Next, add the handle scales, which should be oversized, and attached with Gorilla Glue and pins. The wood I use ranges from Apple to Maple to Oak, all of which grows on our property, I save the larger branches that break off during the winter storms. Once the scales are pinned and the glue is cured, shape the handles. Once that is done, turn your attention to edging the blade. Me, I'm not satified until the blade can shave hair from either my arm or leg. Now its time to make a sheath for it.

Hmmm, maybe I'll make up a special one and sell raffle tickets at $1.29 each and split the proceeds with the forum. Whadda ya think? :haha: :haha: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :blah:

No, I'm serious, really!

Just my :m2c:

You guys have trouble holding the gun 'cause you have them little bitty short barrels!

Back in the old days they used to call them short guns "boys' rifles"!

Now when you grow up and get a real long rifle you can rest the butt on your foot and cradle the barrel in your elbow and reach up and load the thing proper.

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Now, this is a man that knows what he's talkin' about! :thumbsup:
Sparky

sniper68,
Just wondering are those Wal-Mart knives S/S
or carbon????? It is very hard to find carbon knives
anymore and i will not have a S/S in camp, on my person,
or even in my kitchen..... just wondering????? :hmm: :hmm:
snake-eyes :thumbsup:

Birddog6,
I have a small skinner that is damascus that
is almost identical to the one you show and i just love
it. Got it from www.phforge.com.
Paul Harm, very nice to deal with :imo:
snake-eyes :hmm: :peace: :thumbsup:
BD6,
you are truley an artist :master: :applause: :thumbsup:

Thanks but not reallly true. A true artist can just take anything & make it in to something artistic. I can't do that, I have to practice it over & over & over.... You would not believe the good steel I have ground up ! ha ha !
I always figured if I did something long enough & repeatedly enough, eventually I will luck out and get it right eventually ! So making one sucessfully & it turning out the way I want is from sheer determination, not artistic talent. ha ha ! So I just keep pluggin awary at them trying to accomplish what I think is the perfect knife....

One thing I always repeatedly told my sons as they were growning up & still tell other youngins today. "Ya can't accomplish much in life if ya never Try"...... and the other thing I told them is the words "I Can't" is not in my vocabulary & I don't want to hear you say that. I will accept "I'll Try" but not the other words....
:thumbsup:

Back