• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Lube Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found his site at: ( Dutch Schoultz)
http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

I just sent him a note, to see if he's okay. He is not in the best of health, but I understood it had to do with his eyes, and not anything worse. He's in Clayton, Missouri, and he's been a true living treasure to this sport. If readers have not ordered his system, do so. Its what he is living on above social security. Someone else is maintaining his website.He is one of those men who has forgotten more than most of us have learned about muzzle loaders.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's some very interesting stuff on his website. I may have to place an order.

Mark Lewis said:
There's some very interesting stuff on his website. I may have to place an order.

The problem I see is water soluble oil which is petroleum and causes a chemical reaction with BP to form a nastier fouling. But he is a TARGET SHOOTER. If by rifle with the same work will shoot into about 6" at 200 with SPG bullet lube on the patch I can't see using his stuff.
I also had a rifle that would shoot into an inch at 100, several times, with Sperm Whale oil and a ball that could be seated with the rod and didn't need wiping.

Dan

I got a note from Dutch today. He's alive and well, and looking to update his website.

I do not use water soluable oil as a lubricant, although a I have a moose milk mixture I made years ago I use solely for cleaning that uses water soluable oil. I would recommend using mineral oil( Ballistol), or Jojoba oil, if you are seeking to immitate Sperm Whale oil, which is not available, now. Olive oil obviously also works. None of these are based in Petroleum products, or by products, so they should not form tars in the barrel and gum up the works.

Back