• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEARL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to make up moose snot for patch lube? Also pros and cons to using it. :idunno:

Thank you Lakota,
Not good at seeing Articles etc. etc.
Thanks for the link. :thumbsup:

yeah, just follow the instructions in the articles section. It is fairly simple and the stuff seems to work as advertised. I just got done trying it out and came away with good accuracy and no particular need to swab between shots. The fouling was either much softer, or was more self-cleaning than when I was using bore butter.

I lied I did think of one con-bees wax isnt always readily available in my area.

Vearl said:
Can anyone tell me how to make up moose snot for patch lube? Also pros and cons to using it. :idunno:

I never heard of 'moose snot' until joining this forum.
However, there are scores of formulas around for making 'moose milk'. Most involve using Murphy's Oil soap, water soluable oil and other 'stuff'.

Vearl said:

First, you don't even want to try it! You gotta find a moose with a cold (hard enough) then actually getting the stuff from him can get you really roughed up. Go for something plant based.

hanshi said:
Vearl said:

First, you don't even want to try it! You gotta find a moose with a cold (hard enough) then actually getting the stuff from him can get you really roughed up. Go for something plant based.
lol.... thats great

hanshi said:
Vearl said:

Not a real problem. I have been 'snotted' hundreds of times by my cattle. It is just a matter of being quick enough to catch the stuff with something other than yer open mouth.

Rifleman1776 said:

That's 'a cuse this forum is the birthplace of Moose Snot - so to speak.

There are dozens of moose milk variations - usually with NAPA water soluable cutting oil or similar in a water base.

I made Moose Snot specifically to used in ball-blocks that I could lube up and carry all hunting season. If you're really curious look back in the search feature for "Lube Wars" from like seven years ago. I tested a over dozen components for rust prevention and then worked up the lube from the best.

Vearl, I know it heresy, but you might give Liquid Wrench a try. It's all I use as a patch lube these days.

Check out the results.

My .32 Pedersoli Frontier flinter.
P32-029.jpg

My .54 Green Mountain barreled TC Renegade.
R54-027.jpg

My .58 Green Mountain barreled TC Hawken.
H58-050.jpg

LiquidWrenchPatchLube-1.jpg

Stumpkiller said:
Rifleman1776 said:

That's 'a cuse this forum is the birthplace of Moose Snot - so to speak.

There are dozens of moose milk variations - usually with NAPA water soluable cutting oil or similar in a water base.

I made Moose Snot specifically to used in ball-blocks that I could lube up and carry all hunting season. If you're really curious look back in the search feature for "Lube Wars" from like seven years ago. I tested a over dozen components for rust prevention and then worked up the lube from the best.

Stumpy, is there any chance you could post a link to your 'lube wars' thread, please?
I have tried & tried to use the search feature on this Forum & frankly, it's detestable! I cannot get it to show me posts or threads of more than a year old. Even if I change the option to 'Any Date - or newer' I still only get hits from 2011.
Honestly, & I mean no offence to the mods or forum owners, it is the WORST search engine on any forum I've come across. The fact that it will not save my search preferences & I constantly have to make sure I'm not going to see umpteen thousand posts, from the one thread that the search term was used in, is infuriating!

Sorry had to vent.

There ya go with your Liquid Wench stuff! It just reminds me that I have'nt tried it yet :( . Thats some real good shooting!.

Well armakiller, I bought stock in Liquid Wrench and I'm trying to increase the sales. :wink:

If you try it and get the results I did you will be a happy camper. It's nice to work with too. Saturates the patch instantly and very clean handling.

Thank you for that idea on liquid wrench Semasine. Will keep that in mind. Just something about the name Moose Snot just draws me to it. Maybe it is made for us dirty ol' men.
Got a Boxer dog that drools all over ya, when you pet her. Thinking that might work as a spit patch. :rotf:

Great targets.

How fast does liquid wrench evaporate?

Do you have to keep wet patches in a bag to prevent drying out during a day of hunting?

Do wet patches effect the powder charge?

How fast does liquid wrench evaporate?

I really can't tell that it evaporates at all KV Rummer. But the way I use them the patches feel almost dry anyway. I've done it two different ways.

In the first way, I take a stack of twenty or thirty patches (whatever I figure to shoot in a session) and saturate the stack with LW. Then I wrap the stack in a paper towel and squeeze the bundle so the towel absorbs any excess oil. The patches feel almost dry and are very pleasant to handle. In the second way I lube one patch at a time as I load by putting the tip of the LW bottle against the patch and moving it around so as to apply just enough to dampen the entire patch. I haven't really seen any difference in results between the two methods, but feel the bundle method is more likely to assure all of the patches are lubed the same.

Do you have to keep wet patches in a bag to prevent drying out during a day of hunting?

When I'm hunting I keep a half dozen patches in a #11 percussion cap tin.

Do wet patches effect the powder charge?

Not that I've been able to tell, and certainly not at the range where the load is in the barrel for a few minutes only. When loading for a hunt I do put a wadded up dry patch between the charge and the patched ball for extra insurance. It may not be necessary, but can't hurt. At any rate, I've left the gun loaded for several days on a clean dry bore and could detect no difference in the strength of the charge when shooting the load.

Back