• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch size for .480 Ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBrooks

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just bought some .480 round balls (Hornady)
and wanted to ask what patch size to use.
Seems fair to say I would need at least a 20
but have not seen any patch sold thicker than that!
Usually shoot only .490 but wanted to experiment
with thicker patches. Any ideas.

Try doubling up on the thinner patches until you get the thickness that you want. I've done it a few times and it worked just fine.

Vern

Look for denim, and muslin products to find thicker materials for patching. :thumbsup:

Personally, If I were going to shoot .480" diameter balls in my .50 caliber rifle, I would be using a corn meal filler between the powder and PRB to provide the needed gas seal. :hmm:

paulvallandigham said:
Look for denim, and muslin products to find thicker materials for patching. :thumbsup:

Personally, If I were going to shoot .480" diameter balls in my .50 caliber rifle, I would be using a corn meal filler between the powder and PRB to provide the needed gas seal. :hmm:

It is possible his rifle is a .49 caliber. :haha:

He said he normally shoots .490 balls, so its much more likely to be a .50 caliber. NO? :surrender: :thumbsup:

lead487 said:

The thickest patching material have seen is denim at .024". I forget the tread count for it.

If you can find thick enough patching you will not need the corn meal. I have shot a 480 ball out of my 50 cal rifle with .18 pillow ticking with good results.

I would try some of the denim or other of the heaviest cotton you can find and avoid the filler if at all possible I have never found the need for any filler in 40 years of shooting ML's except in revolvers,very good accuracy is possible without a super tight "gas seal" combo many will attest to that fact

Appreciate all the feedback guys...I have plenty
of jeans sitting around and will cut some and try.
After some range trials, I'll get back to ya.
I was trying to load the 490's with a .15 lubed patch and it was a struggle so cut back to a.10
and it was tight but not so that I could not
ram it down. I will try to find a material that
give me a 22-.24 so the .480 has a good seal

lead487 said:
...I have plenty
of jeans sitting around and will cut some and try.

Not to throw a wrench in your plans, but be careful with that. I am assuming these are older used jeans? If so, some parts, like the knees for example, will probably be worn more than other parts, so you may end up with varying thichnesses of patching out of the same pair of jeans. I'm not saying to not do it, if anything, as long as you measure and record results as you go, it may be a good chance to try different thickness patching. Just make sure you keep notes so if you find the perfect thickness, you can go get more cloth like it and reproduce the good results.

I'm messing around with the same issue right now. Why did you not like the .49 and .01 patch combo? Did it burn though? (Mine does)

I went to a .015 patch to see how those worked. Didn't burn though at all BUT very tough to load. I couldn't just push it down the barrel with steady pressure. I had to basically beat it down 6 inches at a time. :shake: After a couple shots I had to clean it out or it got really tough to push the ball down. I really didn't enjoy loading my rifle like that.

Keep us updated on the experiment. BTW a .02 patch would seem to be enough for the .48 ball seeing that its really a .04 patch when wrapped around all sides of the ball.

That was exactly my problem with the .15 patch...
nearly broke off my ramrod. I want to try the .480
on my current 50 cal NC Rifle. But bought the .480 mainly knowing my TVM E.Va w/Dehass barrel will be in my hands very soon.

After some experimenting with both barrels I'll send photos of the range test.

You could also try the .490" + .010" patch combination again with something loaded underneath the patched ball to seal around it - a .54" cushion or felt wad, a second patch (I sometimes use the fired ones I police up at the range), or a filler like cornmeal or grits.

Regards,
Joel

I would watch what you cut up for jeans some of them old worn out jeans bring big money to them big city folks sell enough new gun .

lead487 said:
That was exactly my problem with the .15 patch...
nearly broke off my ramrod. I want to try the .480
on my current 50 cal NC Rifle. But bought the .480 mainly knowing my TVM E.Va w/Dehass barrel will be in my hands very soon.

After some experimenting with both barrels I'll send photos of the range test.

DeHass makes an excellent barrel! I have two H&H barrels, same tooling, new owner. He did change the steel by my understanding. He claims it's better. He may have gone to softer steel to make his machining/rifling faster. I am just guessing on that. The steel may be better for all I know, but that would be difficult, IMO.

I would like to get one to see if it is as tough as it used to be. It took a while to file dovetails on my barrels. Drilling holes was slow and tedious too.

Let my know if the bore is still mirror bright in those barrels.

lead487 said:

.480 is too small for a 50 caliber rifle.
.490 is small enough to use a .020" patch.

Dan

Ha flintlock 62, I was curious about your comment on the current DeHass barrel material so I called just a few minutes ago. They indeed use a slightly
softer steel but its still a super high quality
12L14 gauge steel. They did mention that they were still getting a high volume of orders. My rifle arrives tomorrow!!

Just as a side note 12L14 steel is a low carbon steel with a small amount of lead added to increase machinability. It is almost twice as easy to machine as a SAE1018 low carbon steel.

This steel has slightly higher tensile and yield strengths when compared with SAE1018 however its elongation properties are lower.

There is no undispersed lead in this steel so do not expect to find any "globs of lead" anywhere.

This steel is quite commonly used for making muzzleloading rifle barrels.

Dan Phariss said:
lead487 said:

.480 is too small for a 50 caliber rifle.
.490 is small enough to use a .020" patch.

Dan

Dan,

You mention that .480 balls are too small for a 50. What happens if one uses a .480 ball? Is it dangerous to shoot”¦..or”¦. is it just a loss of accuracy?

I can live with a loss of accuracy as long as it's safe to shoot.
I've been shooting a percussion with .490 ball for a year or two”¦.
Going to start filming "tough girl" youtube videos soon with my teen daughter and she will use flintlocks & I figured the .480 would be easier for her to load.

I'm a little green regarding this topic”¦so”¦..take it easy on me.
Safe”¦or”¦not?
Thanks for any responses”¦”¦”¦”¦see ya yardhunter

17 months later for a reply? :shocked2: . We need some pictures of the rifle!. Btw, 12L14 is just fine for muzzleloader barrels and don't let anyone tell you different :thumbsup: .

Latest posts

Back