• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

patchbox contents

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hentird

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What would be the most common articals to be in a patchbox? Wether it be a smoothbore or rifle.

What would be the most common articals to be in a patchbox? Wether it be a smoothbore or rifle.

Oxygen and Nitrogen, oops, I thought you said "PARTICALS"... :rolleyes: :haha:

I would have to say:

1. Cleaning jag
2. Extra nipple/flint (depending on gun type)
3. Patches (roll or pre-cut)

I keep a hand turned ball puller that a pard made for me inside a wire worm and a wad of tow (keeps the rattle down). :results:

in my flinters, a spare flint, and a spare leather to hold it. in my percs..a cleaning jag...sometimes nothing..Hank

In my percussion is a cleaning jag wrapped in patches to quiet it. In the flinter is a new flint wrapped in patches..

Most of the stuff is kept in my possible bag.

I keep a spare wiff of air in mine. I consider my patch boxes to be nothing more than "objects d'art".

Ditto....not much use keeping a spare nipple in the patchbox if the wrench won't fit in there too. They mostly just look cool. :m2c:

I keep an extra flint and cleaning jag wrapped in cleaning patch material in mine. I understand the old timers carried tow and a worm to replace the patches and cleaning jag.

Good one, John S. Mosby!!! :crackup: :crackup:
I have a very fancy wood patch box lid on Der Schmeiser, my yeager. It is tapered as was Fruwirth's original. It is difficult to get into the dovetails without marring it. :shocking: :eek: I can't imagine trying to get anything out of there in the forest in a pinch and keeping track of the lid. :( When I built the redhairedgal, my wheellock, I just left a lump of wood there and carved a false lid for looks. :blah: :blah: Hee Hee! I'll have to try the candy thing, sounds great! :master: :master:
God bless.
volatpluvia

Your speaking of keeping track of the lid in the forest reminded me of something. My gunsmith friend attached a string to mine so I couldn't easily lose it!

He said he had books with old originals doing the same thing and that there were plenty of old originals with lost patchbox covers to show the need for such a thing.

Regardless as to whether or not it's pc I'm glad he did it. The string gives me peace of mind when I'm trekkin' around these hills in WV. The photo is a little fuzzy buit you get the idea.

patchbox1123.jpg

Chuck

Huntinfool: Nice picture. Now I know what a patchbox cover looked like back in them thar days. I had never seen one. OK, I know the answer to "What's a henweigh?" Sort of like keeping a grotchky in there. :haha:

Huntinfool,
Where does the string pass through to let your lid come all the way out of the dovetails? Perhaps that channel I see there for the latch? That does seem like a good solution, especially if I have a snickers attack while sitting on a stump! :crackup: Sometimes when it is wet out and I have set the butt on the ground to load frequently, the lid won't come out anyway. I have never lost one, but then I don't use it, either.
God bless.
volatpluvia

The string attaches in the middle of the patch box cover so I just make sure it's held up towards the small end. It hasn't been a problem but like you I don't hardly ever use it. I've had a piece of patch material in it for 2 or 3 years I'd forgotten what was in there.

Chuck

I HAVE A SMALL TRIMMED BLUE JAY FEATHER FOR PLUGGING THE TOUCH HOLE WHEN IT IS RAINING. I ALSO HAVE A FEW EXTRA PATCHES IN IT.

GOD BLESS US ALL

We all ain't that old yet. :: We can hear ya still. No need to shout. :: Just hit that little button to the left of the A on you keyboard, and take it off capitol letters. Thnkas.

Hey, Rebel, he might be the one thets harda hearing,or maybe he was in artillary in the service. Thet can make ya hard o hearin also. Or maybe he just accidentally hit thet Cappy locker key thingy. :crackup: Bill

Back