• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patches after shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks roundball. That helps me to understand it, but when you say to use natural lubes do you mean on the patch or final cleaning before storing the rifle?
I will use prelubed patches at first. Will they work to keep the fouling down between shots?
After a day of shooting I will use hot, soapy water then dry.
How does that sound for a plan?
Jim

I meant NL1000 on everything...there are several different ways and lubes that work for different people...I was just explaining the one I happen to use and it's based upon nothing going in the bores except NL1000.

Steaming hot soapy water, hot water rinse, dry patch the bore quickly, then let the residual heat get the bore bone dry for a few minutes.

Then I plaster it heavily with NL1000 using popcicle sticks, screwdriver blades, etc, to reach in and pack plenty NL1000 in the grooves, spread it on cleaning patches and run them down the bore several times to ensure every square inch of the bore is coated to protect the surface from contact with the air.
The next time I shoot, dry patch out any excess and use shooting patches lubed with NL1000 while shooting.

None of this is anything I invented, just following TC's recommendations in their owner's manual...the degree I take it to is more than they suggest but I just never want to worry about rust when I put up a rifle...it's worked fine for a long time now so I don't want to risk changing it.

If a bore is 100% cleaned, 100% dried, and 100% lubed...it can't rust. But if any one of those three steps are not done 100%, then there'll be a good chance for problems, no matter what lube is used.

Latest posts

Back