• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patching a ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crockett

Cannon
Reaction score
Is there any difference in the accuracy between patching a ball with a pre-cut patch and using patching material and a patch knife and cutting the patch as the ball is seated? Right now I am /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifusing pre-cut patches. If I can get better accuracy using a patch knife, etc, fine but how do you grease the patch? Won't the patching material end up being a greasy mess attractng a lot of dirt?

I normally use either pillow ticking or #40 drill cloth from JoAnn's fabrics. I cut it into strips wide enough for the caliber i am using and then lube it with Crisco, (use whatever lube you prefer). I roll the strip up and carry it in( i know, not PC) plastic 35mm film container. Doesn't get dirty that way. I then unroll it over the muzzle, start the ball just below the muzzle, and cut with SHARP patch knife. You get a perfectly centered ball that way.

Have used a couple thousand OxYoke and TC prelubed, precut patches in 45, 50, 54, 56, & 58 calibers...never had a problem centering the ball...you just lay the patch over the muzzle, set the ball in the middle, and seat it...I think you'd have to consciously work at it not to seat one centered correctly :winking:

Crockett, There probably is a differnce in accuracy when using pre cut patching as compared to starting your ball then patch cutting. I have not noticed a difference myself, but I'm extremely cautious of making sure my pre cut patch is centered before starting the ball. When I do use the patch knife, I just dangle my patching strip from my mouth and use good ol' spit. I do tend to run a bit dry on hot days, :haha:. Mostly I use bullet blocks anymore, but I always carry my trusty patch knife, and some patching strips with me. Old habits are hard to break.

If you are a real stickler on prb accuracy you might want to look into Dutch Schoultz Black Powder Rifle Accuracy System. I have had good success with the info he sells.

Back