• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patterns for possibles bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the last bag i made was 2oz oil tan .i just drew out the bag pattern and size then wet the leather and started sewing with my stitching awl i cut everything out of scraps of the same type and color.i even made my laces for the strap from the same leather. i couldn't find an patterns so i made my own free hand

Thanks for the advice. The websites look useful thanks Stumpy. :thumbsup: I'll see what I can get at Joan's then try mail order to get the tools. For a bag would a light leather say 3-4 oz. be heavy enough or would a heavier leather work better? :master:

OR... you can pay half the price for waxed linen at your local horse tack shop. they also sometime have used harness strapping to use for your bag or horn straps.
:m2c:

somehow I got this out of order :what:

For a bag would a light leather say 3-4 oz. be heavy enough or would a heavier leather work better?

Personal preference. Here's some thoughts: A stiff bag is noisier in the woods when being slapped by brush. A soft leather bag forms to the contents and prevents noise from the jostling goodies inside (and tends to keep the goodies in place). A stiff leather bag generally looks better, as it holds its shape better. You can cram more into a soft bag if necessary. If you're doing a bag that needs to be sewn & then turned inside-out you'll get good results with the 3-4 oz leather (as opposed to thicker). IMHO most folks use too heavy a leather.

My latest is in soft but relatively thick moose hide. It's 1/8" (7-8 oz?) but as soft as deer. Looks kind of lumpy but it is quiet.

Halfmoon - Its always more fun making the stuff yourself, least it is for me. Btu I did find a tack shop nearby, adn I will check and see if they stock that product.

I appreciate Stumpk putting up those web sites, too. Does anybody else have any leather crafting sources? "Earls" is very good.

Also, any recommendations for beginner leather craft publications would be useful. I hate getting a book and then discovering that its not what I had hoped.

I also look forward to using a few of the finishing tools, such as a beveler and burnishing stone, perhaps a beginning publication will address those procedures, too.

Thanks, sse (great thread)

Wayne Zurl has a pattern and step by step instructions in the December issue of Buckskinner...

I just finished Wayne Zurl's pattern yesterday, and I'm pretty happy with the results. It was my first leathercraft project, so I was approaching it with no idea of what I was doing. There were only a couple of places that I had to use my own common sense (somebody left out a couple of the pictures) but they were only minor delays. The pouch ended up being 8" X 9".
If I could get the camera to work with this blacksmith repaired computer, I'd love to show it off.

B. Ford

BF - I hope you put up a few pics! Its fun isn't it?

Regards, sse

Wayne Zurl has a pattern and step by step instructions in the December issue of Buckskinner...

I just finished Wayne Zurl's pattern yesterday, and I'm pretty happy with the results. It was my first leathercraft project, so I was approaching it with no idea of what I was doing. There were only a couple of places that I had to use my own common sense (somebody left out a couple of the pictures) but they were only minor delays. The pouch ended up being 8" X 9".
If I could get the camera to work with this blacksmith repaired computer, I'd love to show it off.

B. Ford

Glad that it worked for you, sorry about the photos...we put in as many as we could! Anyway, I've talked to Wayne and he is going to come up with some more patterns for your leatherworking pleasure. I'm about to use his pattern for a slightly larger "trekking" bag. Sort of a heavy duty bag that will hold just enough shooting accoutrements for a hunt, tinder kit, a little grub and possibles, with a knife and axe attached to the back of the bag, thus eliminating the need for a shooting pouch and haversack. I already keep a knife in a sleeve on the back of my shooting bag and it's the best thing I've ever done.

:results:

Stumbuff - That's great. I think you're heading in the right direction.

Regards, sse

www.hunt101.com
[/url][/img]

I had a good time doing this, and I'm looking forward to the next issue, I need the shirt pattern that's been promised.

B. Ford

If you are in the central Wisconsin area, Turtle Island Beads in Baraboo has a great selection of leather, beads, and tools.

(They oughta be payin' me :crackup: for talkin' about them so much)
Bill

Nice work. Is there an advantage to having the straps attached to the back instead of the gusset? I'm doing one now and am just about ready to attach the straps.
Bill :thumbsup:

Nice work. Is there an advantage to having the straps attached to the back instead of the gusset? I'm doing one now and am just about ready to attach the straps.

A couple of advantages, just from a personal opinion without regard to period or political correctness... Straps on the back let the bag sit more naturally across your shoulder & body, allow opening the flap easier, and don't get in the way of taking stuff in & out.

This may get the ladies upset, but :imo:
gusset strap = ladies purse :eek:
back strap = men's hunting bag :haha:

vic

Madison Grant wrote a wonderful book some years agi called "The Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch". Try your local library or it may still be available through some of the booksellers at rendezvous. Many great ideas about style, shape, and construction. A wide variety of materials were used also and almost anything is correct (almost). I made a small bag to accompany my 1760 Lancaster out of calfskin, lined with linen, and with a welt in the seams. I used burlap webbing for the strap. Here's a photo with my tradegun. A very simple pouch. The knife scabbard is on the back of the pouch and knife was made by Dave Allen.
1760Tradegun.jpg

Lodge killer, great ta se another michigander jumpin in with both moc's. Just hope ya got high sided one's, cause it can get pretty messy in here at times. :crackup: Welcome to the forum. Looks like a Gostomski there, it's a beaut Bill of the 45th

You would be right about it being a Gostomski. Curley made it prior to starting Northstar. It has a Lott pattern lock. I traded a matched set of scrim horns for it from a feller from Utah (professor there).

Back