• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peashooter selection

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am shooting 33,36,38 and 40cals. I can't tell any difference in fouling between them. I am sure patch,ball and powder selection may have a very positive aspect to this.

I agree with Runner, wind is a real bugger with the small bores. My dad an had old original .28 caliber half-stock which was a tack driver at 25 yards but for groundhogs out 75-100 yards even a slight breeze made it a hit or miss game. Thirty-two makes a fine squirrel rifle but .36 or .40 calibers have the edge for longer shots and bigger critters, especially on a breezy day. On a windy day even a .54 is chancy! I also agree that the skinny ramrod required for .32 calibers is a liablity. All things considered, if I had to choose I guess I'd take the .36.

The ramrod on a .32 is definately a liability, several years ago I bought a Cabelas Blue Ridge in .32 and went out to sight it in. I didnt think about swabbing the bore between shots and when I was loading for the 7th or 8th shot, trying to force the ball down the barrel the ramrod broke. I got the ball out, cleaned the rifle, and stuck it in the closet, its been there ever since.

Now that I'm back to ML, does anyone know where I could get a replacement ramrod for it? Would love to pop a few bushy tails with it.

TOTW #Ramrod-5 is a ramin wood 5/16 dia X 48" rod that could work.
Muzzleloader Builders Supply # 16770 is a similar rod, or their # 16760 is a 16770 with a brass tip installed.

Although I am not a fan of woods other than Hickory, it is difficult to find Hickory rods any more.

If you buy one of the plain rods, you can take your end fitting(s) and install them yourself. There are several posts in the Gun Builders Bench that describe what is involved.

Ok going by what has been stated a fast twist shoots lighter loads more accuraetly, Whats considered a fast twist in these smaller bore guns?

My 36 is 1-48. It works well with roundball and short conicals. If you ment to shoot long small caliber conicals, the best rifling twist would have to be determined by the length and weigh bullet you planned to shoot the most. Faster twist equals longer bullets is the simplistic answer. I don't know the math.

I think 1-48 is pretty much the standard roundball twist for a 36 these days.
Have a good day just for spite!

B. Williams

Thank you for the information. Now I can get this smoke pole making smoke again. Muchas Gracias.

Back