• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli 1859 Sharps set trigger problems

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fltaft

Elder Taft
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Pedersoli '59 Sharps with the set trigger, which worked very nicely... until it didn't, and I have several questions. When I purchased the rifle, using the trigger without setting it, the trigger pull was really quite awful (long and very heavy) but with the trigger set, it was heaven to shoot. I have several other rifles with set triggers and have not had this issue. The other issue, and more important is that one day I couldn't set the trigger at all. I discovered that the adjustment screw and its spring had fallen out (it's a tiny bugger and, I fear, lost forever.) Does anyone know where, or how to get a replacement (or replacement parts for Pedersoli firearms in general?)? The other part to this question is, will simply replacing the missing parts solve the problem or do I need to do a deep dive inside the set trigger plate to repair/adjust/align any innards? Thank you, in advance, for any and all assistance.

I have a Pedersoli '59 Sharps with the set trigger, which worked very nicely... until it didn't, and I have several questions. When I purchased the rifle, using the trigger without setting it, the trigger pull was really quite awful (long and very heavy) but with the trigger set, it was heaven to shoot. I have several other rifles with set triggers and have not had this issue. The other issue, and more important is that one day I couldn't set the trigger at all. I discovered that the adjustment screw and its spring had fallen out (it's a tiny bugger and, I fear, lost forever.) Does anyone know where, or how to get a replacement (or replacement parts for Pedersoli firearms in general?)? The other part to this question is, will simply replacing the missing parts solve the problem or do I need to do a deep dive inside the set trigger plate to repair/adjust/align any innards? Thank you, in advance, for any and all assistance.
https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/

You might be able to find a replacement at True Value or similar stores if you can determine the thread and pitch.

You have a couple of issues that if it was mine would need addressed. First the lock needs work to have a decent trigger pull without using the set trigger. The set triggers are rather simple and will of coarse need the missing screw replaced. It is most likely a metric size. The spring is a puzzle to me as there shouldn’t be an external spring to lose. I made these set triggers for a Sharps I built that maybe of interest to you.
IMG_0467 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

You have a couple of issues that if it was mine would need addressed. First the lock needs work to have a decent trigger pull without using the set trigger. The set triggers are rather simple and will of coarse need the missing screw replaced. It is most likely a metric size. The spring is a puzzle to me as there shouldn’t be an external spring to lose. I made these set triggers for a Sharps I built that maybe of interest to you.
IMG_0467 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
Thank you Phil, you confirmed my thoughts about double set triggers and the pull on the un-set trigger. The mystery spring is shown on the drawings from Pedersoli. Its position is externally under the screw head and, I suppose, its function is to help keep the screw from backing out and getting lost... I don't believe it served it's function in my case. BTW very nice work on your trigger

If I was replacing that screw my approach would be to go to the local hardware store and find a small screw that is a might larger and buy a starting tap of that size. Disassemble the triggers and tap the trigger plate for the new screw but not run the tap completely through the plate. The goal is to get the threads in the plate enough that the new screw goes threw but has friction to hold it at any spot you need it at. No spring is required and it works like an original Sharps does.

Back