• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli 1859 Sharps set trigger problems

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fltaft

Elder Taft
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Pedersoli '59 Sharps with the set trigger, which worked very nicely... until it didn't, and I have several questions. When I purchased the rifle, using the trigger without setting it, the trigger pull was really quite awful (long and very heavy) but with the trigger set, it was heaven to shoot. I have several other rifles with set triggers and have not had this issue. The other issue, and more important is that one day I couldn't set the trigger at all. I discovered that the adjustment screw and its spring had fallen out (it's a tiny bugger and, I fear, lost forever.) Does anyone know where, or how to get a replacement (or replacement parts for Pedersoli firearms in general?)? The other part to this question is, will simply replacing the missing parts solve the problem or do I need to do a deep dive inside the set trigger plate to repair/adjust/align any innards? Thank you, in advance, for any and all assistance.

I have a Pedersoli '59 Sharps with the set trigger, which worked very nicely... until it didn't, and I have several questions. When I purchased the rifle, using the trigger without setting it, the trigger pull was really quite awful (long and very heavy) but with the trigger set, it was heaven to shoot. I have several other rifles with set triggers and have not had this issue. The other issue, and more important is that one day I couldn't set the trigger at all. I discovered that the adjustment screw and its spring had fallen out (it's a tiny bugger and, I fear, lost forever.) Does anyone know where, or how to get a replacement (or replacement parts for Pedersoli firearms in general?)? The other part to this question is, will simply replacing the missing parts solve the problem or do I need to do a deep dive inside the set trigger plate to repair/adjust/align any innards? Thank you, in advance, for any and all assistance.
https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/

You might be able to find a replacement at True Value or similar stores if you can determine the thread and pitch.

You have a couple of issues that if it was mine would need addressed. First the lock needs work to have a decent trigger pull without using the set trigger. The set triggers are rather simple and will of coarse need the missing screw replaced. It is most likely a metric size. The spring is a puzzle to me as there shouldn’t be an external spring to lose. I made these set triggers for a Sharps I built that maybe of interest to you.
IMG_0467 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Back