• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topbike

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Any opinions out there on whether or not a Pedersoli Pennsylvania .45cal barrel needs to be "shot in" or polished with steel wool or scotchbrite before best accuracy is achieved.

Yep. And even if I wanted to polish a bore up for some reason I'd use JB Paste and not something harsh like scotchbrite or whatever.

Shoot several rounds then inspect your patches. Pedersoli rifle barrels are notorious for being sharp and cutting patches, which will mess with the accuracy until you shoot it in. I've always used a generic pad of "scotch bright" aka "green scrubbie" when this was the case, and the problem was corrected in an afternoon.

The barrels from Pedersoli, though, are not consistant from the factory with sharp lands, so inspect the patches before you do any polishing.

LD

I have the same rifle :thumbsup: .
I would just shoot it...ball dia and patch thickness make a big difference. :hatsoff:

When I get a new barrel I "scrub" out the packing grease with alcohol or acetone if I can see a heavy grease. Then I give it a few strokes with a bronze bore brush and some toothpaste. I have never needed any thing else for a new barrel. A little toothpaste won't do any harm and leaves a bright bore. :idunno:

It's been a while since I owned a brand new barrel but I believe that barrel quality today is quite good. If I were you I would enjoy shooting your rifle and watch the patches. My musket required a while to stop cutting the patches. Geo. T.

Latest posts

Back