• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Brown Bess ?’s

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy folks. I have been wanting to purchase a Pedersoli Brown Bess, I’ve been looking at 1777 charlies also but I think the B.B desire is stronger.

Now this would be my first smoothie, and for those who have one I have some questions.

#1. How do you like it? Fun to shoot? Too heavy? Gripes?

#2. What’s your loadout? I will only be shooting round balls not cartridges. So what size are you using for RB, and patch. Or wadding?

#3. How much more “expensive” is it to shoot than smaller calibers? .735 round balls ain’t cheap in comparison, and a mold is about $150!

#4 Last question. What do I need to maintain it? Anything special? Or just a good ole fashion jag and cleaning patches?

Thank you for your input.

I have bene looking too, somehow it is difficult to justify the price on something I want to use and won't be just a "safe queen" investment. The $1000 dollar difference between Pedersoli and the Indian guns, doesn't seem justifiable or practical

I have bene looking too, somehow it is difficult to justify the price on something I want to use and won't be just a "safe queen" investment. The $1000 dollar difference between Pedersoli and the Indian guns, doesn't seem justifiable or practical
I hear ya. Especially when you start to think what else you could purchase that’s on a higher level of quality with that money. But I fear, this time next year they will only be more expensive.

I’ve got Pederdoli’s Brown Bess carbine, and I’ve been generally pleased with it. I defarbed mine (removing all markings aside from the serial number, for obvious reasons), blued the lock, and made a couple of alterations to the stock (smoothing the comb’s transition and carving around the tang).

Pedersoli customer service has been good. I broke a mainspring and they sent me a new one free of charge, no questions asked.

It’s a handy little gun and is more accurate than I am with either .735 or .715 ball.

Attachments

• IMG_2512.jpeg
    IMG_2512.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2514.jpeg
    IMG_2514.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2515.jpeg
    IMG_2515.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2520.jpeg
    IMG_2520.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I’ve found Pedersoli to have solid customer service as well.

OP, sounds like you won’t be disappointed. I’d order it from someone like Dixie Gun Works who is good about returns just in case there’s an issue.

Are you specifically looking for a Brown Bess for historical reasons or would you be open to a different type of smoothbore gun? Because that opens up a whole new ballgame of worms in regards to trade guns, fowlers, etc. that are not only a hoot, they’re a holler as well!

Howdy folks. I have been wanting to purchase a Pedersoli Brown Bess, I’ve been looking at 1777 charlies also but I think the B.B desire is stronger.

Now this would be my first smoothie, and for those who have one I have some questions.

#1. How do you like it? Fun to shoot? Too heavy? Gripes?

#2. What’s your loadout? I will only be shooting round balls not cartridges. So what size are you using for RB, and patch. Or wadding?

#3. How much more “expensive” is it to shoot than smaller calibers? .735 round balls ain’t cheap in comparison, and a mold is about $150!

#4 Last question. What do I need to maintain it? Anything special? Or just a good ole fashion jag and cleaning patches?

Thank you for your input.

I am sure you can fine a mold cheaper than $150.00 but even if you can't if you shoot a lot it well be worth buying the mold. I have own several Pedersoli guns and they are all well made

I’ve got Pederdoli’s Brown Bess carbine, and I’ve been generally pleased with it. I defarbed mine (removing all markings aside from the serial number, for obvious reasons), blued the lock, and made a couple of alterations to the stock (smoothing the comb’s transition and carving around the tang).

Pedersoli customer service has been good. I broke a mainspring and they sent me a new one free of charge, no questions asked.

It’s a handy little gun and is more accurate than I am with either .735 or .715 ball.
That thing is Purdy! Do you load a patch down with that .735 ball?

I’ve found Pedersoli to have solid customer service as well.

OP, sounds like you won’t be disappointed. I’d order it from someone like Dixie Gun Works who is good about returns just in case there’s an issue.

Are you specifically looking for a Brown Bess for historical reasons or would you be open to a different type of smoothbore gun? Because that opens up a whole new ballgame of worms in regards to trade guns, fowlers, etc. that are not only a hoot, they’re a holler as well!
Dixie is a bit cheaper at the moment, than muzzle-loaders.com :)

I say I'm not too picky on the historical background on it, but here I am kind of about to eat my own words. I like the Bess specifically because of its history, and its time in the Colonies and the whole romanticized history of it is a huge selling point. As far as fowlers, and trade guns are concerned, eh not as exciting to me lol.

I hear ya. Especially when you start to think what else you could purchase that’s on a higher level of quality with that money. But I fear, this time next year they will only be more expensive.
Agreed but over twice as much, to the tune of a grand? That's a lot of cash even these days.

I just want something that is representative of the era, safe and reliable, that I don't have to feel bad about shooting and getting a ding here or there on it, and I am not in it to impress others.

Agreed but over twice as much, to the tune of a grand? That's a lot of cash even these days.

I just want something that is representative of the era, safe and reliable, that I don't have to feel bad about shooting and getting a ding here or there on it, and I am not in it to impress others.
Yeah it's tough to say. A grand these days is two months of car payments for the average American, so I reckon some folks gotta figure out what's more important. Freedom to spend money, or their awesome jacked up F150 that nobody cares about 😂

I have the mindset of you get what you pay for, so if it's got a $900 price tag on it vs a $1600 price tag. I'll probably take the latter. I don't mean any offense with this comment by the way.

Yeah it's tough to say. A grand these days is two months of car payments for the average American, so I reckon some folks gotta figure out what's more important. Freedom to spend money, or their awesome jacked up F150 that nobody cares about 😂

I have the mindset of you get what you pay for, so if it's got a $900 price tag on it vs a $1600 price tag. I'll probably take the latter. I don't mean any offense with this comment by the way.
All good, I am in the same boat you are, looking. I am just looking for some justification for that extra grand. Investment/holding its value, being about all I can come up with, and like I said, I plan to use it, and not worry about beauty. Evan having the money I don't cherish the idea of overspending for virtually the same thing based on brand. and $600 vs. $1600 is significant.

FWIW I am also going back and forth on he 1777 vs the Bess and am leaning Bess as the virtual 12 gauge (I think?) bore size, makes sourcing ball, wads etc easier.

Latest posts

Back