• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Brown Bess ?’s

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must respectfully disagree. The continued inclusion of the Brown Bess in Pedersoli’s line-up and the frequent sellouts at various retailers indicate strong and ongoing interest. This suggests that the cost of production is justified by the demand.

As Kibler’s offerings tend to be reasonably priced, I can see a lot of those in the reenactment community who’ve had to “settle” for Pedersolis and Indian-made varieties dump them for a Kibler.
How many reenactors go for the Pedersoli vs an India import? How many will spend $1200-1400 minimum for a Kibler kit?

You may be right as far as the market may be there for hunters and sportsmen, though.

I'm not at all in with the crowd that buys Besses, but have wondered if it would be a viable product for us to make. What do you all think? Do you think with the 250th year coming up there would be increased demand?
Yes.
I may have started asking for a Bess from your shop first, maybe not.
If priced similar to the Pedersoli variant the cnc and made in America factors should sway buyers to your product.
Could just be the places i frequent but a good Bess is asked for . India imports them Italy imports them and the rifle shop sells kits. Most times are on back order .

How many reenactors go for the Pedersoli vs an India import? How many will spend $1200-1400 minimum for a Kibler kit?

You may be right as far as the market may be there for hunters and sportsmen, though.
I’d venture to guess that a lot of them do. Reenact-ors typically take the activity pretty seriously and most won’t bat an eye at spending thousands for period correct attire and accoutrements. Why then would they skimp on their firearm?

While I admit I sold my Pedersoli Brown Bess to get a Long Land Pattern musket that is much more appropriate for the F&I War. In truth, the Pedersoli Bess was generally accepted for some units and my unit did and still does allow new members to use their Pedersoli Besses while acknowledging that it is not correct for our unit. It's hard to find reliable Long Land Pattern muskets for our unit even when looking at the offerings from Loyalist Arms. My Loyalist Arms musket is a reliable as my Pedersoli Bess.

Now then I have to look at @CascadeRob"s needs for a Bess. One of the planned uses is for AWI reenacting and the Pedersoli Bess certainly is an acceptable firearm for most AWI representations, but don't take my word on that. That decision must be direction for weapons mandated by the unit.

So, if the planned uses are for mainly hunting, target shooting and a small percentage of AWI reenacting, then the Pedersoli is the choice.
Yeah where I’m from there is very little to no reenacting so as long as I can make steel dance I’ll be grinning!

I'm not at all in with the crowd that buys Besses, but have wondered if it would be a viable product for us to make. What do you all think? Do you think with the 250th year coming up there would be increased demand?
Trying to decide if you're teasing us or should I risk getting caught taping a for sale sign on the wife's back?

If Jim Kibler can put out a Bess kit in the price range that he has on his 4 previous offerings, I think it would sell very well. I have had the India bess( junk) Miroku Bess and the Pedersoli, I would probably trade all three for something Jim would offer.
A land pattern with wood rod or metal rod option would be well accepted

I’d rather have the Charleville as was supplied to the American colonists over the Bess, used by the King’s oppressors. Easier to clean, robust and reliable. But many want a Bess. Either would be a great offering for the upcoming 250th though.

Dave Person's thread about the Pedersoli kits, and The Rifle Shoppe's reputation for wait times has just about put a Bess off my wish list. If you're going to make one; it's back on. Especially since coming from you everyone knows it'll be high quality, easy, and historically accurate.

Howdy folks. I have been wanting to purchase a Pedersoli Brown Bess, I’ve been looking at 1777 charlies also but I think the B.B desire is stronger.

Now this would be my first smoothie, and for those who have one I have some questions.

#1. How do you like it? Fun to shoot? Too heavy? Gripes?

#2. What’s your loadout? I will only be shooting round balls not cartridges. So what size are you using for RB, and patch. Or wadding?

#3. How much more “expensive” is it to shoot than smaller calibers? .735 round balls ain’t cheap in comparison, and a mold is about $150!

#4 Last question. What do I need to maintain it? Anything special? Or just a good ole fashion jag and cleaning patches?

Thank you for your input.
Watch this video:

I’m not too much of a stickler on it being correct-ish, as long as she is a shooter!
I agree, Cascade; if guys want to pick at small shapes and what's-the-model, ok for them. I just like an as-is musket, with maybe a stock re-finish or such. And while I appreciate true enactors, the guys worrying about the markings on a lock place and does it match the current enactment, that's a bit too far. I once saw a Civil War mention and a guy was worried his lock-plate date didn't match the battle!

It might. Depends on the price of your kit. If in line with your other kits, along with your quality… yeah, people would buy.

I’d venture to guess that a lot of them do. Reenact-ors typically take the activity pretty seriously and most won’t bat an eye at spending thousands for period correct attire and accoutrements. Why then would they skimp on their firearm?
They don’t spend thousands on uniforms and clothing. Not like you’re thinking. And thousands for a gun that will be dropped. Have the butt slammed in the ground, carried when wet and other such things… most will not spend that much. Young people and those with families won’t. But if Jim a Kibler can make one with prices in line with his other offerings, yes.

I’d rather have the Charleville as was supplied to the American colonists over the Bess, used by the King’s oppressors. Easier to clean, robust and reliable. But many want a Bess. Either would be a great offering for the upcoming 250th though.
The Long Land Pattern was used by Colonials from the F&I War up through the Revolutionary War, and many militia guns stocked by colonial gunsmiths were of similar style. The French guns were few and far between until after the Revolution was well underway.

If you want a gun for the ages, a LLP with a metal rammer is the best bet.

Perhaps a New England Militia musket? It wouldn't have to follow a specific pattern like a Bess and would fill a niche no one else comes close to.

I have re-enacted for almost 30 years. Re-enactors have and will spend lots of money on gear and guns. It can become an encompassing hobby!!!

The Long Land Pattern was used by Colonials from the F&I War up through the Revolutionary War, and many militia guns stocked by colonial gunsmiths were of similar style. The French guns were few and far between until after the Revolution was well underway.

If you want a gun for the ages, a LLP with a metal rammer is the best bet.
Now I learned something today! Any idea of approximate numbers of the Long Land Pattern in the colonies at the outset of the war? Were these mostly housed in militia armories? Did private citizens have these as well?
Thanks for the information.
Snoot

Last edited:
Back